Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5 3570k w/ ASRock z77 Extreme4 OC

Last response: in Overclocking
March 4, 2013 7:30:48 AM

Alright first off, Id really like to thank everyone here that recommended the ASRock z77 Extreme4.. Ive never owned an ASRock before but I may now be a customer for life.. The BIOS is incredible and I love this board so far.

Now then.. Im brand new to overclocking but after reading the guide here I have managed to come up with what I believe is a safe and efficient clock but Im not positive.. I guess I am looking for a review of sorts.

Clocked to: 4.2

This runs at a solid 1.120v with no fluctuation.

Max temp of 57C after several hours of Max Heat testing with Prime95.

I was running

Ran at 1.168v
Similar temperatures.

Is 1.120v better to be at than 1.168v?

Is this a safe clock?

Do I have a good chip ?

Is there something I should change or leave where Im at?

Do I have a good enough chip to clock higher without worry?

Thanks for anyone that can help explain to me.. I think where im at is "safe" but I dont know what the numbers mean or what works better? They both seemed to be stable.

THanks again
March 4, 2013 8:25:11 AM

You are doing great but you are nearly at a peak so slow down a bit. hope you have a decent cooler coz only a good CPU cooler can decide a peak for 3570k

For some nice overclockers reviews checkout Intel overclockers club on Toms hardware
m
l
March 4, 2013 8:31:29 AM

sanilmahambre said:
You are doing great but you are nearly at a peak so slow down a bit. hope you have a decent cooler coz only a good CPU cooler can decide a peak for 3570k

For some nice overclockers reviews checkout Intel overclockers club on Toms hardware

Can you explain? How am I at a peak ? What is the peak?
This is just really general information youre giving me.. I see people running 1.168v at 70C.
Please elaborate.
m
l
Related resources
March 4, 2013 9:55:51 AM

soundforge said:
Can you explain? How am I at a peak ? What is the peak?
This is just really general information youre giving me.. I see people running 1.168v at 70C.
Please elaborate.

The information is based on a stock intel cpu cooler ( if you are using )
m
l
March 4, 2013 10:10:05 AM

sanilmahambre said:
The information is based on a stock intel cpu cooler ( if you are using )

Again, please elaborate on the information you have provided.

What is the peak, and how am I near it?

Are you saying that 57C is near the maximum temperature you can go on an i5 3570k?
Are you saying that 1.1120 or 1.168 is the maximum voltage I can run?
What are you saying?

Lets say that I was infact using an intel stock cooler, 57C is 57C no matter what cooler I am using...

That being said, I am using a Hyper 212 Evo.
m
l
March 4, 2013 11:17:13 AM

Dude don't get me wrong. yes it was my mistake to say you are on peak and With 212 evo you have got plenty of space for OC

m
l
March 4, 2013 5:56:13 PM

Okay Ill try asking again and see if someone can answer.

Is this a safe clock?

Do I have a good chip ?

My VID says 1.301. What does this mean?
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2013 4:19:23 AM

soundforge said:
Okay Ill try asking again and see if someone can answer.

Is this a safe clock?

Do I have a good chip ?

My VID says 1.301. What does this mean?

I dont really look let VID concern me as VCORE voltage seems to be the main value that that you need to be watching.

As for your questions:

1. Is 1.120v better to be at than 1.168v?
- I say, lower the better

2. Is this a safe clock?
- Yes...a bit too safe for me tho :p 

3. Do I have a good chip?
- Possibly, test that chip with Prime95 (I sometimes use Battlefield 3 if I'm afraid that Prime may heat the CPU too high). I can do 4.2 on my CPU with similar voltages but as soon as I pass 4.4, the heat becomes quite overwhelming, at least for me.

4. Is there something I should change or leave where Im at?
- If you see no problems in your day to day use, I'd say leave it be. Since you're on stock cooling, you have two choices: Either get a decent aftermarket cooler and put that chip to the test or stay where you are at now. Of course, you can try for higher as 57C isn't much for Ivy Bridge CPUs; the TjMax for i5 3570k is 105C but, I don't like going over 80C-85C in P95.

I do definitely recommend you stress test the CPU for stability purposes, good luck :D .

EDIT: Just saw you wwere using P95. Nice!^_^
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2013 5:55:52 AM

i've seen most 3570k to 4.5/4.6ghz with temps below 90 Celsius so head for this range and you'll be fine !!

You'll need about 1.3V 1.325V of Vcore to reach that in general (based on the 3 "3570k" rig i've builded)... It maybe more or less depending on your chip but that will show you some basic informations to get onto that ^^
m
l
March 5, 2013 9:26:53 AM

Best answer selected by Soundforge.
m
l
May 5, 2013 10:25:14 AM

soundforge said:
Alright first off, Id really like to thank everyone here that recommended the ASRock z77 Extreme4.. Ive never owned an ASRock before but I may now be a customer for life.. The BIOS is incredible and I love this board so far.

Now then.. Im brand new to overclocking but after reading the guide here I have managed to come up with what I believe is a safe and efficient clock but Im not positive.. I guess I am looking for a review of sorts.

Clocked to: 4.2

This runs at a solid 1.120v with no fluctuation.

Max temp of 57C after several hours of Max Heat testing with Prime95.

I was running

Ran at 1.168v
Similar temperatures.

Is this a safe clock?

Do I have a good chip ?

Thanks for anyone that can help explain to me.. I think where im at is "safe" but I dont know what the numbers mean or what works better? They both seemed to be stable.

THanks again

Those are great temps you could probably get 4.6ghz plus easy. What cooler are you using if you don't mind my asking?
m
l
!