msochristian

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
Hi All,
I purchsed a Compaq Presario a few years back.
I ordered all the neccessary specs to use it for a cheap gaming pc.
We'll Compaq, didnt install a pcie Slot.
I have skillz, is it possible to buy the slot and solder it to the board.
I can see the pins where it is supposed to be.
I am also studting A+

Any tips or help would be great.
I have a 256mb geforce 6800gs I would like to install in this box,
It is running the latest version of Linux Ubuntu.

TY
Tony

Solution
^+1

Just because the leads are doesn't mean you can just install the socket and expect it to work. Even if you somehow managed to install the slot itself, which would involve you either removing all the solder and doing the holes one at a time or find a way to heat them all at once to install the slot, you would still need to know what capacitors and what not to use. Just get a new motherboard, it's alot easier
^+1

Just because the leads are doesn't mean you can just install the socket and expect it to work. Even if you somehow managed to install the slot itself, which would involve you either removing all the solder and doing the holes one at a time or find a way to heat them all at once to install the slot, you would still need to know what capacitors and what not to use. Just get a new motherboard, it's alot easier

Solution

robert123456

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
You cannot just solder on a slot and expect it to work; in any case you would need a blueprint of the circuit board. Also some (if not most) components require micro soldering, most of which is operated by machine for maximum efficiency and precision. It would be interesting but a lot of work, as L-S-D has said, just buy a new board.

msochristian

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
Thank You Guys for the response
Not interested in replacing the board, may give the box to a charity or try to sell it for 250 bucks or something.
I have a gaming pc I use, was trying to find a good use for the old ones.
What do you guys do with your old machines ?
Throw em away or sell em ??

msochristian

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010

cool thats what im trying to do