Can i put computer inside refrigerator

stajan

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
I have a workstatin,my room is very big so i need a 2.5kw airconditionar for cooling the whole room and graphic workstation.so i am planing to convert my 165ltr old refrigator as computer rack for cooling the system.any body have experience?

4Ryan6 That is epic..... challenge accepted for my next rig.

Stajan no you cant put a computer in the refrigator. It will kill the refrigator in a few months, the cooling unit is not ment to be ran all the time. Its ment to cycle on and off to keep the temps in a range.

[:manofchalk]
I see what you did there...

You cant put your PC inside a fridge for a couple reasons.
1. Your fridge cant handle it, they aren't designed to cool a constant heat source, just to bring the contents down to a temperature and sustain it.
2. Condensation will form when you turn on the PC, the warming computer parts will draw the moisture from the cold air and promptly short itself out. So unless you want to insulate the computer in some way or run a dehumidifier inside the fridge, thats a reason why not.
3. There are more efficient ways to cool a PC to below ambient temperatures, such as Ryan's Peltier solution.

shahrooz

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
I'm a fluid mechanics engineer so trust me :D the fridge can't handle a heat source specially a powerful one btw there won't be any condensation because vapor needs a cold surface to lose heat and become liquid.

demonsparkx

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

but wouldn't say, the outside of and the case itself become cold, whilst also be having and generating heat from the inside? i dont doubt your expertise but IMO i wouldn't trust running any sort of PSU inside such an environment. even if it may actually be safe so to speak, maybe im just paranoid but to me it doesn't sound like a great idea. im sure the cooling system,pump and element in the fridge wouldn't to be joyed about it either lol

When I was in college, *cough* years ago, people were building computers into dorm fridges. They were pretty much killed by the moisture. You know how you have to defrost a freezer? Lots of moisture.

There were reports of putting a bucket of moisture-absorber in and sealing the fridge air-tight but, as has already been posted, they're not designed to run constantly. I'll vote with the don't do it crowd.

phx08

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
I think that you're going to have to worry about mositure in this type of project.

Off the wall idea...
Why not run fluorinated hydrocarbons instead? However you would need a condenser and highpressure system.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
For weird ideas for cooling I'd rather just toss the thing in a fish tank filled with mineral oil. Just don't forget the cool fish decorations and decorate the pc in cool things like sunken treasure chests, skeletons, empty bottles of rum, etc.

shahrooz

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009

It sure is a bad I idea, like I said the fridge can't handle a heat source.