Sign in with
Your question

Red noise - Display issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 22, 2010 10:09:32 PM

I have a problem with my laptop display. There is red noise appearing on / instead of / next to blackish colours in different applications (video, games) and just on some text (e.g. Start button in Windows, quicklaunch icons and tabs on the taskbar etc).

It must be a hardware issue as I have two OS installed and the problem persists in both. No driver update has helped.

The problem came up suddenly. A month before that I had disassembled and reassembled the laptop. It had been working just fine, without any visual issues so I don't think my interference with its hardware can be the reason.
The red noise appears on some but NOT ALL black colours so I guess it must relate to some sort of a particular colour encoding which is no longer properly reproduced on the display. I can't show the screenshots because they would appear as normal pictures with no red noise on your monitors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, buying a new laptop was not part of my plans right now.

ASUS A6 NVidia 7300 Go Win XP2
a b Î Nvidia
March 23, 2010 1:08:23 AM

Could you download and run GPU-Z to see if (a) the card has a temp sensor and (b) to make sure it is not overheating.
March 24, 2010 8:21:36 PM

EXT64 said:
Could you download and run GPU-Z to see if (a) the card has a temp sensor and (b) to make sure it is not overheating.

Thanks. The test data is attached. Also, the issue is persistent even when I boot up the PC after 24 hours of rest, so I don't think it's got to do with overheating.

Related resources
March 26, 2010 9:36:00 PM

Anyone has any idea?
March 14, 2012 5:28:11 AM

Succeeded to restore it? I have the exact same problem right now, except I think I know the cause. I replaced the thermal pad on the integrated GPU of my tx2500 with Artctic Silver 5 paste, and applied plenty. The red noise came, learnt about AS5 being electrically conductive, deassembled again, cleaned it all off, replaced with a new freshly cut thermal pad, but the red noise didn't go away.

Did you succeed to find any solution?

Anyone has an idea if this could be resolved without replacing the motherboard the GPU is integrated into?

Thanks
March 16, 2012 10:13:25 AM

wuppy said:
Succeeded to restore it? I have the exact same problem right now, except I think I know the cause. I replaced the thermal pad on the integrated GPU of my tx2500 with Artctic Silver 5 paste, and applied plenty. The red noise came, learnt about AS5 being electrically conductive, deassembled again, cleaned it all off, replaced with a new freshly cut thermal pad, but the red noise didn't go away.

Did you succeed to find any solution?

Anyone has an idea if this could be resolved without replacing the motherboard the GPU is integrated into?

Thanks

Hi there,

My issues was to do with the cable connection between the screen and the MB which I had apparently disturbed when disassembling and re-assembling the laptop. There are many fine cables there.
!