Coolermaster Hyper 212

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I just bought a Coolermaster hyper 212 and I'm replacing it on my gigabyte MA785gm-us2h motherboard with an AMD athlon II 250 regor socker am3 that i want to OC and I have a couple questions:

1: 1st when I have to put in the base that holds the cooler, I'm thinking that I have to replace the bottom plastic piece that holds the original CPU cooler so I can install the new base that comes with the cooler? IS that correct?

2: how do I get the old paste off the cpu without screwing anything up?

3: the part that hold the cpu cooler & fan to the new base, does that just sit on the HS pipes in the hole that is provided then as I tioghten the screws it goes down and settles into the hole, correct?

Anything else I should be leery of when replacing the cpu fan and heat sink with the Coolermaster Hyper 212?

Thanks again for all your help!

big_mike

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
alazeer I just went through this hell about 3 days ago.
The instructions they send you are for people that can't read.

1. Take off the back plate of your current Mobo

2. Screw on the back plate that comes with the 212.

3. Get some Isopropyl alchohol and a lint free cloth take a VERY VERY Small amount of alchohol put it on your cloth and lovingly rub off the old thermal paste.

4. Setup the correct configuration of the mounting bracket based on your CPU / Motherboard type,
you will see that the bracket really only fits one way so adjust it according to your type of board / CPU.
To move the screws to another hole I suggest putting the bracket on a hard surface (your tile floor or table top) and pushing down pretty hard while sliding the screws.

4.1 Now take your bracket and align it to the small hole that is on the top of the heatsink and rotate the bracket into place, you will know it is in the right position when the small pin on top of the heatsink "locks" you in place.

5. Because the 212 has funky tubes that directly touch your cpu I would suggest putting a small amount of thermal paste on the pipes and rubbing it in the spaces between the pipes (A VERY SMALL AMOUNT since your putting compound on the cpu already.

6. Gently go corner to corner tightening the screws, always go to the diagonal corner. Tighten gengly until it won't tighten anymore.

7. Gently reposition the heat sink to exactly where you want it by hand while the thermal paste is still un-cured.

8. Plug in your CPU fan to the MOBO.

ENJOY!

I got my 1090t overclocked to 3.7 with a 212 and it idles at 23c :)

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
My box is missing the manual and installation instructions but it has all the things that are supposed to be in there other than the manual and istallation instructions. I've never installed an after market cpu HS/Fan so I'm stuck a bit right now :(.

I did go online and get the manual from CoolerMaster but it leaves a hell of a lot to be desired :(. In order to see it I have to blow it up to 400X and it's all blurry :(.

I already took off the old cpu fan and bracket and cleaned the cpu. That part was easy now I need to install the bottom bracket over the CPU:

There are four screw holes where the old bracket came off now which screws do I use to hold down the new bottom bracket?

The ones that are big, silver and have threaded holes in the top or do I use the small black ones to hold it down then use the bigger silver ones to hod down the hs/fan? How do i fasten them, with the nuts that came with it? Isn't that a huge pain to do?

Anyone else done this who can walk me thru it?

Thanks

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I've been talking with the cooler master live chat (typed chat not talking) and the tech at coolermaster has me even more confused than before?

He told me that I'm supposed to put the standoffs thru the backplate into the 4 holes on the motherboard then tighten it down. I can't do this because my mobo holes are too small for the thread size of the stand offs?

So I used the standoffs and nuts that came with it to secure them in the correct notches on the backplate. I can now put the backplate on the motherboard using the original screws that came with the CPU fan as they are just long enough to use but the guy at coolermaster said that the middle needs to touch the motherboard, not the corners???

This is where I have no clue what he is talking about as the only part of the backplate that touched anywhere on the motherboard is where the square hole touches the cpu? IS this what he's talking about? (i'm to the point where Im not too thrilled with coolermaster support.

Also the inside of the backplate where the heatsink touches has one side that is squareish and the other side is tapered, the backplate will fit in either direction, does it matter which way the backplate is turned as long as it's secured in place with the 4 screws and using the thermal compound between the cpu, backplate and heatsink?

Should I just put the thermal compound on and tighted the backplate down then put the heatsink and fan on plug it in and see what happens? Will that hurt anything? Sorry for all these questions but the last thing I need to do right now is screw up somethng I can't afford to fix!

Thanks for the help!!

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006

Thanks to CT and Big_Mike for the help!

I really feel like an idiot now :(. I was trying to mount "Both" the universal bracket AND the back plate to the top of the Mobo without taking out the mobo, rofl! Now it all makes sense as before when I tried to instalkl it that way I have about 1/2" of room between the cpu and the heatsink :(. Man what an idiot I am now it will be really easy lol.

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I do have another question:

Before I take out the motherboard, do i also have to take the cpu, ram, video and sound card out first, then pop in the baseplate, ram, video and sound cards again? Or is it ok to put the baseplate on with those in?

If I have to take them out should I put the cpu, ram and cards on anti-static bags then work on the mobo?

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Thanks for the help guys, I finally got the damn thing put in and everything is running great again!! I used CT as the best answer because it was the video that helped me the most, but Big_Mike also helped a lot to!