AMD Phenom II x4 925 @ 3,5ghz

TheCrisis

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013
Well - hello there again guys :)

I just oc'ed my 2,8ghz Phenom quadcore up to 3,5 ghz - stable at a max. temp. of ~52°.
In my opinion it's pretty good (I don't know if it is - I'm new to OC), but I'd like to add a bit of more ghz to it if possible....
soooo i turned the ghz (via BIOS of course) up to 3,6ghz.
Afterwards it had a problem: Under 100% load in prime95 2 cores stopped working - lowering the ghz back to the stable amount of 3,5 solved it, but:
what's the problem ? does my CPU has even more potential if I add some voltage ? If yes, how much should i add - I didn't add ANY voltage to it while tuning it up to 3,5ghz ant it works nicely ^^.

Thanks in advance :D

zink1701

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
The cpu cores stopped working due to the overclock, a slight increase in voltage may get you a few more ghz. Every chip is different some will overclock high and some wont. Dont quote me on this but i think 1.4v is the maximum safe voltage (I would research your chip to be sure). Do small increases in voltage then test for stability. Just be aware ythat higher voltages mean higher load temps. Kepp an eye on tems and research your cpu so you dont go over the maximum safe operating voltage and temperature.