Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need help choosing a 1366 motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
December 22, 2010 9:16:50 PM

Hi, I am building a new system, I already have the CPU I7 950, but not sure which motherboard I should pick, could someone please give me suggestions? Thanks

I thought of getting one of these boards, but not sure which one is better, my budget is around $200 to $220.

1, ASUS Sabertooth X58

2, ASUS P6X58D-E

3, GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R

also for memory, would one of these work with 1366 motherboard?

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-145-...

2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


thanks alot
a c 234 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 22, 2010 9:36:56 PM

1st Choice: ASUS P6X58D-E
2nd Choice: ASUS SABERTOOTH X58
NO UD3R!! :) 

RAM: Corsair, since it is triple-channel memory designed for the X58 boards.
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2010 3:04:29 AM

princejoe18 said:
Hi, I am building a new system, I already have the CPU I7 950, but not sure which motherboard I should pick, could someone please give me suggestions? Thanks

I thought of getting one of these boards, but not sure which one is better, my budget is around $200 to $220.

1, ASUS Sabertooth X58

2, ASUS P6X58D-E

3, GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R

also for memory, would one of these work with 1366 motherboard?

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-145-...

2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


thanks alot

I'd take a number three and add a number two.
Related resources
December 23, 2010 12:22:54 PM

Some ppl have found issues with the UD3R...

I have the board and have had no issues at all... most pertain to using raid with an ssd which i will put to the test and try to figure out what the issue is,

however I have my own theories which again I will test when i get one lol.. I have a hefty OC on this board and NB doesn't even get hot however IMO they are all good brands..
a c 715 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
December 23, 2010 1:41:38 PM

ASUS P6X58D-E 16+2 Phase & 3-WAY CF/SLI
ASUS Sabertooth X58 8+2+2 Phase & 2-WAY CF/SLI
--

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R if you're out of your mind; Tom's did a build RAID 0 SSD give it a week or two then see what it does - as the corruption creeps in crippling the rig. Mine with SSD + RAID 1 ran great for less than a week then *poof*.
December 23, 2010 2:59:42 PM

thanks alot for everyone's input, since I have heard mixed reviews about the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R, I think I will choose between the ASUS
P6X58D-E and ASUS Sabertooth. Anyone using these two boards right now? If yes, please give me some feedback of it, thanks. As for the memory, so I have to go for triple channel as dual channel won't work on the 1366. Is 3x2gb enough for me or I have to go for 4x2gb?
a c 715 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
December 23, 2010 3:14:00 PM

Yep, I have 10 ASUS P6X58D-E -> zip problems are running 100% since May 2010.

Don't use Dual Channel kits on a Tri Channel MOBO, and a 3X2GB set is sufficient unless you're doing a lot of rendering then if that be the case go 3X4GB. Also, you'll need 64-bit OS to access >4GB RAM.
December 23, 2010 3:28:21 PM

jaquith said:
Yep, I have 10 ASUS P6X58D-E -> zip problems are running 100% since May 2010.

Don't use Dual Channel kits on a Tri Channel MOBO, and a 3X2GB set is sufficient unless you're doing a lot of rendering then if that be the case go 3X4GB. Also, you'll need 64-bit OS to access >4GB RAM.



thanks for the reply, jaquith. I won't do alot of rendering with it, most likely it will be used with streaming tv and some gaming. So I need 64 bit in order for it to access anything more than 4GB? How is the compatibility of the 64 bit OS? Would it work with today's software or the older ones?
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2010 3:29:22 PM

jaquith said:
Don't use Dual Channel kits on a Tri Channel MOBO


Good catch!
a c 234 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 23, 2010 3:39:12 PM

Crashman said:
Good catch!


tecmo34 said:
RAM: Corsair, since it is triple-channel memory designed for the X58 boards.
No love for me?? :)  [:mousemonkey:5] :lol: 
a c 715 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
December 23, 2010 3:44:16 PM

tecmo34 said:
No love for me?? :)  [:mousemonkey:5] :lol: 

In a manly way - friend! :whistle: 
a c 234 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 23, 2010 3:48:17 PM

jaquith said:
In a manly way - friend! :whistle: 

Yes... Of course... Manly | Friend Way :whistle:  :lol: 
a c 715 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
December 23, 2010 3:53:45 PM

princejoe18 said:
thanks for the reply, jaquith. I won't do alot of rendering with it, most likely it will be used with streaming tv and some gaming. So I need 64 bit in order for it to access anything more than 4GB? How is the compatibility of the 64 bit OS? Would it work with today's software or the older ones?

Yep, 2^32 limits you to 4GB {~3.5GB usable}. I'm fine recommending Window 7 x64, and knock on wood I have no compatibility issues thus far. I opted for Win 7 Pro x64 and in doing so I have the option to also install Windows XP as part of the 'package' -> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/wh... {Ultimate is good as well but to me has more bloat}. I do NOT recommend XP 64-bit!

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/ulti...
December 24, 2010 8:14:47 PM

jaquith said:
Yep, 2^32 limits you to 4GB {~3.5GB usable}. I'm fine recommending Window 7 x64, and knock on wood I have no compatibility issues thus far. I opted for Win 7 Pro x64 and in doing so I have the option to also install Windows XP as part of the 'package' -> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/wh... {Ultimate is good as well but to me has more bloat}. I do NOT recommend XP 64-bit!

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/ulti...



is there a big difference between the Asus sabertooth and the Asus P6X58D-E in terms of performance and quality? I am leaning toward buying the sabertooth now. Just want to make sure I pick the best choice, thanks.

Best solution

a c 715 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
December 25, 2010 2:35:56 PM
Share

The Sabertooth X58 is fine and I've stated it's limits. Unless you're going to do some high OC or require 3-WAY SLI/CF then the Sabertooth X58.

However, sine they're as of today the 'same' price then clearly the Asus P6X58D-E.

Side-by-Side - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|13-131-641^13-131-641-TS,13-131-665^13-131-665-TS
December 29, 2010 7:19:47 PM

Best answer selected by princejoe18.
!