Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R How Many Sticks Do I need?

sak231

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
So I am building a system around the i7 930 and the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R.

How many sticks do i need? I currently ordered 4 x 2gb DDR3 Dual Channel found here

Is 4 sticks ok? I read somewhere that I might need sets of 3 sticks with the 930. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Three is better. You can use dual channel RAM (even number of sticks), but they will run slower than the triple channel sticks.

If you really need a lot of RAM, you could pick up another 2x2 GB of the exact same sticks for a total of 12 GB of RAM...

srbarry

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Four sticks in this MOBO does not make much sense.

I just built a system with this MOBO and a 930, it can handle dual channel, but it is really a triple channel board.

If you're willing to get a triple channel board and pay for more than two sticks, three (or six) makes more sense than four. Triple channel is faster and it you go dual you're dooming your board to run slower than it can.

Besides, three sticks of 2 gb will give you 6 gb total which is all you need, plus you can always add another three sticks to go to 12 gb if you'd like.

I recommend getting the corsair dominator memory. My build went together flawlessly, the whole thing took 2 hours. The corsair memory worked right away, I just went into the bios to enable xms and it ran at 1600 no prob.

Avoid the 'on sale' ocz memory with this board, I have seen many posts from people having all sorts of problems and having to pay for mailing back stuff.

BTW, I also recommend a modular psu (I used the corsair 750hw), my build is so clean with just five cables from the psu.