Solved

HD 5850

My Radeon 5850 is running hot, and has a problem with its fan control i think.

at stock settings it runs 99% on silly little games, and gets to about 62C about the same for when playing crysis ~67C, the most the fan ever throttles up to is about 28-30%. Is this right? shouldn't it throttle faster than that if it is getting so hot. how do i fix this? it also idles around 40C.

it has febuary drivers with Cat 10.2 i've been watching for 10.3 but i cannot find it, even at the AMD website.

if i manually take control of the fan through Cat 10.2 i can get it to be around 55C (62C with crysis) with 33% fan, but i still think something is funny... isn't this hot for a GPU at stock? Idles at 35C here.

Please help.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 5850
  1. Not at all. The original 4850 ran 70C idle and 90C stressed by design. Those temps sound exactly where they should be for a 5850. For a CPU that would be high, but GPUs can take much higher temps. I'll find 10.3a for ya in a second.
  2. Best answer
    Here's 10.3a (preview drivers):

http://sites.amd.com/us/underground/tips/Pages/catalyst-10-3-preview.aspx

The official 10.3 drivers should be out around Wednesday.

Also, my 5850 runs at almost the same temps as yours.
  3. thanks i have found some others that say the same thing as well :) and thanks for the 10.3a is that site normally accessible through the amd site, or is it somethings special?
  4. Best answer selected by Requiemsallure.
  5. No, since those were just preview drivers (mainly to rain on NVidia's parade this week) they were not on the main site. I haven't been to the "underground" site before these, and even then it was only by article links.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics