Sign in with
Your question

PC broke need help!!!!

Last response: in Systems
April 13, 2010 2:54:20 PM

Ive had my new pc for a few weeks and got a new cpu cooler. I installed it and switched on my pc. After about 10 seconds it shut down and never turned on again. A light on the mobo is on if I connect the psu so some things work. Can anyone plz tell me what might be going on?

More about : broke

April 13, 2010 3:02:13 PM

someone plz answer I really don't know what to do
April 13, 2010 3:03:04 PM

We don't have a lot of information to go on, but my first thought would be that you didn't install the new HSF correctly and the CPU overheated. What are your complete system specs? Did you have to remove the motherboard to install the new cooler? Have you been through our standard troubleshooting checklist?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

Wow, you're a little demanding this morning aren't you? Seriously, asking for help and expecting somebody to solve all your problems within 8 minutes doesn't put me in a good mood.
Related resources
April 13, 2010 3:07:16 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
We don't have a lot of information to go on, but my first thought would be that you didn't install the new HSF correctly and the CPU overheated. What are your complete system specs? Did you have to remove the motherboard to install the new cooler? Have you been through our standard troubleshooting checklist?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

Wow, you're a little demanding this morning aren't you? Seriously, asking for help and expecting somebody to solve all your problems within 8 minutes doesn't put me in a good mood.

I have an i7 930 on an asus p6T deluxe. Yes I thought the same thing But it's an nh d14 I installed so I thought that even with no fans running it should cool quite well. And my case was open and I'm pretty sure all fans were running. And if it did overheat is it broken or did it just shut off?
April 13, 2010 3:10:55 PM

but I dont understand since it switched on
April 13, 2010 3:11:49 PM

What are your COMPLETE system specs? The system should have shut down before damaging the CPU. You haven't answered the questions I asked. If you took the motherboard out to install the new HSF then you should treat it like a new system. You may have forgot to plug a connection in all the way or any number of other things. That's why I posted the troubleshooting checklist. There isn't much I can tell you here that isn't already in the checklist.
April 13, 2010 3:18:11 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
What are your COMPLETE system specs? The system should have shut down before damaging the CPU. You haven't answered the questions I asked. If you took the motherboard out to install the new HSF then you should treat it like a new system. You may have forgot to plug a connection in all the way or any number of other things. That's why I posted the troubleshooting checklist. There isn't much I can tell you here that isn't already in the checklist.

Srry I'm just kind of unhappy

mobo: asus p6t deluxe
CPU: i7 930
psu: corsair 850hx
ram: mushkin 1600 cl6
case: thermaltake element g
GPU: 9800GT
HDD: wd black 640g

Yes I did take the mobo out and reconnected all the cables (or so I think). But most of the things in the list don't apply if the system switched on at all right? Still have to check if there is thermal grease spilled but I think not.
April 13, 2010 3:27:08 PM

I checked there is no spilled grease.
April 13, 2010 3:35:05 PM

The checklist applies to all systems. You need to perform EVERY step in the checklist and let us know the results. Don't assume any of the steps don't apply to you. Perform them ALL. That's what the sticky is there for.
April 13, 2010 3:58:48 PM

Did you plug the new cooler's fan into the CPU Fan power port on your motherboard? Even though the fan may be able to get power from somewhere else, your pc will not start if it doesn't detect a CPU fan on the motherboard.

April 13, 2010 4:00:11 PM

That's very true. In fact it's step #12 on the checklist.
April 13, 2010 4:09:54 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
The checklist applies to all systems. You need to perform EVERY step in the checklist and let us know the results. Don't assume any of the steps don't apply to you. Perform them ALL. That's what the sticky is there for.

tried the entire check-list including breadboarding but nothing happens
April 13, 2010 4:13:35 PM

though I don't have a speaker so Can't really check anything.
April 13, 2010 4:16:21 PM

You should get one then. You're flying blind without one. You can only guess at what's wrong if you don't have a system speaker.
April 13, 2010 4:19:06 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
You should get one then. You're flying blind without one. You can only guess at what's wrong if you don't have a system speaker.

Yeah I will and also the fans like jolt if I press the power button as if they turn on and are instantly switched of again(the led also switches on and dies instantly)
April 13, 2010 5:17:12 PM

Can it be that my cpu broke?
April 13, 2010 5:19:07 PM

It's HIGHLY unlikely unless you overclocked without knowing what you were doing. I wouldn't guess until you get your system speaker.
April 13, 2010 5:33:44 PM

I haven't oc'd yet and do you know where I could get one in europe?
!