cbrunnem

Distinguished
I could use some assistance. im having trouble with a raid setup. i basically know nothing but want to raid two storage drives together. 1 is 750 gb and the other is 1.5 tb. is that a problem. i was just going to partition the 1.5 to two 750s and raid just one partition. is that ok? also i dont know how to install my boards raid driver as it calls for using a floppy disk....? another thing is that when i tried to boot with raid selected in the bios my ssd would note boot...?

any advice/guides that will help me out?

Drives in a RAID array should be identical for maximum performance.

The total capacity of a RAID-0 array is based upon the drive with the smallest capacity.
So if you RAID-0 a 750MB drive and a 1.5TB drive, the total capacity of your array will be 1.5TB (750MB x 2).

Also, the Read/Write performance of a RAID-0 array is based upon the drive with slowest Read/Write speeds.

Probably best if you didn't create a RAID array and just use the drives separately.

As Dereck47 indicated, when two drives of unequal size, the raid0 array will be 2 x the smaller - and to clarify YOU LOSE the remainder on the other larger HDD.
You can not pre-partiton the larger drive. As to performance using two drives with differet performance, each drive will maintain it's own performance, so avg through put should be somewheres inbetween. Ie with a large file spead across both drives halve of the file will be read based on that drives performance and the other half read at the performance of that drive. The thing is many files that are less than the strip size are only on one drive, so really hard to judge how colse to avg between both drives.

In your case, do not recommend raid0. Many of the newer drives (except the more expensive ones) are no longer recommended for raid0 usagage.
Raid0 is primarily for working with Large file structures and a OS + program loads do not benifit much from raid0.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

this is all great info but what if i were to attack this?

As long as you realize that you’ll be losing 750MB capacity and probably won’t notice any real-world benefits then go for it; you won’t hurt anything.

Also realize that RAID-0 has no fault tolerance. So if 1 drive fails you lose all of your data. So have a backup plan in place.

Connect your drives to ports SATA2_2 & SATA2_3.
Connect your CD/DVD drive or your USB thumb drive that contains your Windows installation disk.
Boot into BIOS and change your SATA mode to RAID.
Change your 1st boot priority to your CD/DVD drive or USB thumb drive.
Save your BIOS settings and reboot into RAID BIOS.
Create your RAID-0 array.
Save your BIOS settings and reboot.
Install Windows. Let Windows install its own default RAID drivers.
After Windows installation is complete change 1st boot priority to your RAID-0 array.
Install Intel’s latest RAID drivers.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

so to create a raid array i have to clean install even though i want a raid array on storage drives not my windows drive as i have a ssd for my os.

i just move a lot of huge files around on my storage drives and wanted the added speed.

Sorry, I didn't read your original post thoroughly. No you don't have to do a clean install if the array is not going to be your O/S drive; you can disregard those instructions.

Just create your RAID array in BIOS and then initialize it in Windows Disk Management and assign it a drive letter.

TRENDING THREADS