Sign in with
Your question

Realtek HD audio DTS cutout

Last response: in Components
June 21, 2010 8:37:58 PM

Alright, I finally got my HTPC built (Core i3, Gigabyte H55M-S2H). The board has Realtek's ALC888B audio chipset and I have it connected to my 5.1 reciever via optical cord. Every time I try to watch a video with DTS or AC3 sound, it skips/cuts out to the point of unwatchability. I've been scouring the internet for a solution to the problem but I cant seem to find one. I've replicated the problem using both XBMC and MPC. All I want to do is sit down and watch a nice high def movie in surround sound on my day off =(
Anybody have any suggestions?
June 21, 2010 9:04:13 PM

What are you using for video? You could just pick up a passive, thin profile ATI 5450 for around $35-40 and it'll do a better job than your onboard optical port with 8 channel PCM and perfect Dolby 5.1/DTS playback.
m
l
Related resources
June 21, 2010 9:53:51 PM

astrallite said:
What are you using for video? You could just pick up a passive, thin profile ATI 5450 for around $35-40 and it'll do a better job than your onboard optical port with 8 channel PCM and perfect Dolby 5.1/DTS playback.

I would do that except my reciever is just a $200 HTIB setup that doesnt have hdmi in. Someday i'll upgrade it, but for now im stuck using optical.
m
l
June 21, 2010 10:10:46 PM

Do you have the latest mobo bios and Realtek drivers from Giga-Byte website?
That's something that's easy and might correct your problem.
m
l
June 22, 2010 3:44:34 AM

I seem to have found a fix to the issue. I installed the AC3 filter and set spdif passthrough to PCM 24bit and checked only DTS. Watched Mortal Kombat and a few other movies and the problem seems to be gone. If anyone else has a similar issue give that a try.
m
l
June 22, 2010 12:07:24 PM

What you are currently doing is decoding the DTS signal and outputting to the receiver as 2.0 PCM. If thats what you want, then fine, but right now, you're not getting 5.1.
m
l
!