Computer automatically shuts off!

johnnsti08

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
Hi Guys

I have a ASROCK N68C-S UCC and im trying to overclock my phenom II X6 1045T on it. Yes I know it isnt a flashy mobo, but i cant really afford to get a new one at the moment. My problem is when i try to overclock it to 3.0Ghz (FSB to 223, Manual voltage to 1.350, Ram lowered to 1223Mhz, Turbo core, Cool and quiet disabled CPU Active Core Control disabled, AMD IO C-State Support disabled, NB Frequency x9 1950) and run prime95 my computer shuts off automatically, 5 seconds into the test.

Max temp (according to HWmonitor= 33 degrees)

Can anyone please help me?

demonsparkx

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
the OC is unstable, be it a ram or CPU issue, actually i have just had that EXACT problem but on my ASRock G41M-S3 mobo. what is the stock cpu core voltage, multi and speed? from MY experience anyways, most issues seem to be fixed by upping my core voltage when oc'ing. of course in tiny amounts as the more voltage your push it the hotter it will run. for example if your cpu is say, 9* multi at 2.4Ghz stock at normal 1.35V and you bring it to 3.0Ghz you'd need to bring up the vcore voltage a good bit from 1.35 to somewhere hypothetically around 1.4x volts. "not saying you SHOULD as each cpu is completely different" in my case thats just what worked. try adjusting the multi,and see what happens. in my scenario,it will ONLY run stable with a 8* multi instead of the 9* with the 333FSB sadly only gives me 2.7Ghz clock but it works.

johnnsti08

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I actually tried to up my voltage, but same issue. Strange though i tried running a game (Flight Simulator X) for 1/2hr at 3.2Ghz and i didnt get 1 problem at all

demonsparkx

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

that IS odd, but more then less as expected. what cpu load does FSX typically give for you? many instabilities only really start to show when under extreme stress environments. such as prime95 which IMO is the best way to test for absolute stability in any given system.
on that note, i have noticed that very certain clock frequency's a few of my Intel's just would refuse to run at, putting me in endless power cycle loops and refusing to boot to even POST. say, a 311 FSB it wouldn't like, but yet a 320FSB itd run happily stable at. overclocking takes a lot of tedious fiddling before it can be mastered,so to speak. for a system at least as everyone's system is different. after you ran the game did you crash,bsod or anything? if not, it wouldn't be a massive deal but it would be a unforeseen issue in the long run to have the possibility of an unstable system as they can cause errors,bsod etc at any random given moment, but more or less will be shown only when stressed. just keep me updated, im fairly new to building machines myself but have a semi decent knowledge and im a quite avid oc'er too.
a quick tip to try and look though though, make sure your ram isn't oc'd or oc'd to high for that matter. and if your board supports a high FSB, try to down the cpu multi and replace the lost Mhz by upping the FSB. for some reason in my case anyways, it seemed to work for a certain problem i had with a new ram kit. good luck :)

johnnsti08

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
Sorry for the late reply, no it didnt bsod while i was running it for 1/2hr. FSX usually takes at max 50% load. I currently have kingston valueram 4gb 1333 ram and my new 8gb 1600mhz gskill ares is currently being shipped to me, do you think that the ram will change anything?

demonsparkx

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
i do not remember offhand but does your mobo have a FSB wall limit, like mine for example is a 1333MHz mobo, with the FSB limit of 333. so the max it will support is 1333 ram, if yours is the same id say it wouldn't be a problem other then the ram won't be running at its full potential, frequency of 1600. also on that note upon further looking at the specs on that mobo from newegg, its nearly identical to mine other then yours is a ddr2 AMD board whilst mine is ddr3 and intel 775. also, id hope you have ordered a DDR2 kit, as ddr3 will not work on a 2 board. sorry edit on that. apparently it is a combo board, nice choice. as a note though it states DDR2 1066 / 800 / 667 / 533

DDR3 1600 / 1333 / 1066 / 800

assuming you have ordered a ddr3 1600 kit, which is muchh much cheaper then ddr2 now-a-days anyhow there shouldn't be any problems on the RAM end. id personally recommend trying memtest86 for at least a few hours on each stick and again with both sticks. what id like for you to do so i can get a better idea of just where the issue is arising from,try and lower either your cpu multi in the bios, and also the FSB speed. keep trying prime95 after each few notches beting lowered, multi just -1 or -2 off the multi. which will keep down clocking the CPU if its STILL not stable after then then i may start to think you have a serious hardware issue such as a bad mobo or cpu. when was the first time you have noticed this issue? have you done anything prior before this started happening? since it also states Phenom II X6 6-Core CPU Ready

Supports UCC feature (Unlock CPU Core)
id say its safe to assume this board is much meant for oc'ers. i really love asrock products IMO but its a possibility somthing is just not set correctly. if you can please leave the exact make and model of all your components such as ram and cpu model #'s ive owned two asrock boards so far one was a high end extreme3 970 and my current one g41m-s3 and i cant say asrock is well known for bad boards on the contrary there stuff is quite well made. id love to help the best i can, sorry for the huge reply back.

johnnsti08

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks so much for your offer! Yes i did research into my board and ordered the DDR3 1600 ram. My 1045T is 2 months old, so i doubt its that. I asked the same question in other forums and it was suggested that since the mobo max is 95TDP max and the 1045T is 93W its causing some problems. They said its more suited to overclock lower end CPU's such as my previous Athlon X2 255. Because of that I decided not to overclock, until im going to do another upgrade, and buy new everything. Thanks a million for your help though!