Sign in with
Your question

ASUS - SATA 6 Gbps and No Raid support

Last response: in Motherboards
December 23, 2010 5:32:08 AM

P7P55D-E PRO
Has anyone heard if ASUS is planning to release a firmware update to support RAID on the Marvell controller.

It seem the ASUS hype about the first true 6GB SATA interface is just that, hype.
I here GIGABYTE motherboards have released a firmware update to support RAID and have increased the speed by about 66%. I can't remember where i read that story.

So Now i hope ASUS will do the same because without RAID mode the real worlds speed of the 6GBps drives is around 125MBps and no where near the 600MBps that the 6Gbps would suggests.
December 23, 2010 5:06:25 PM

Have you considered installing a 6G controller
in your second x16 slot? This one supports SAS too,
and is less expensive than other models that have
more bells and whistles that you may not really need:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, you need to distinguish what Western Digital calls
"buffer-to-disk" and "buffer-to-host". The buffer is a
a memory cache installed in a hard disk drive.

When data resides in the buffer, it travels to and from the host
at 6 Gigabits per second when the interface is "6G".

However, the buffer-to-disk rate is much slower because
it is determined by the rate at which binary digits are written
to any given track. And, it varies from max at the outermost tracks
to min at the innermost tracks on all rotating hard disks:

http://www.supremelaw.org/systems/io.tests/platter.tran...

If you want to see "real world speeds" approaching
600 Megabytes per second, you'll need to configure
a RAID with multiple 15,000 rpm SAS drives,
or upgrade to multiple SSDS e.g. with SandForce controllers.

Unfortunately, there are very few SATA/6G SSDs at present e.g. Crucial,
but this situation should change during the coming year e.g.
as the SandForce SF-2000 series controllers become available
+ predictable competition.

RunCore has a neat interim solution that sandwiches 2 x 3G SSDs
into a single unit that communicates to the host over a 6G interface:

http://www.tomshardware.com/us/press/runcore-ssd-48

> the ASUS hype about the first true 6GB SATA interface is just that, hype.

In one sense you are absolutely correct:
some 6G implementations are actually
using a PCI-E x1 Gen2 lane, which tops out
at 2 x 250 = 500 Megabytes per second aka "5G" not 6G.

MRFS
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
December 23, 2010 8:05:03 PM

I run a RAID 0 with 2 C300's and would not recommend the onboard RAID; the Intel is more mature than the Marvell. Also, what you 'think' you've got verses what you 'really' have are two different things.

Read this with the GA SATA3 -> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overcloc... BTW I loath that MOBO.

edit: You may want to look into a OCZ RevoDrive (SSD) R-740MB/s / W-690MB/s http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
December 24, 2010 2:33:11 AM

Wow, some great reply's

I have some reading to do, it seems.
Also some good ideas with links to tried and true hardware. Thanks guys.

I was hoping to use the on board controllers as that is why i purchased this motherboard, But at last not every thing works out the way you planed it.

I have two 6Gbps drive on the way and they will be for large file storage and editing/handling and VM's with very large files sizes, so read and write speed counts. I have another hard drive on order that i will put in a RAID 0 with my current drive on the 3Gbps controller to double its speed for the OS. I am replacing my 7 year old P4 3GHz CPU and with this i7 875 and thought i would see much faster performance and so far it is the same, other then i have 8 cores vs 2 and 16GB memory vs 2GB (great multi tasking), but HD speed is about the same so far and that was my biggest bottleneck.

I am looking into the SSD drive but need to understand how windows works with them first. Some how windows must know not to put the swap files and other files that change often on that drive so i guess you need both an SSD and a regular HD for this type of setup. I have some learning to do on this topic before i buy and set it up.

Ihave many other E-sata and USB large drives and i wish i never got the green type drive as it seems they go to sleep and must wake up and delay all drives access some times., I am looking into any way to disable this feature on those drives so they say on/spinning so they don't delay other drives. I amy have to put them in a NAS to get around this issue.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
December 25, 2010 2:07:58 PM

Simple, {Disable} Sleep mode, and do NOT allow the Drives to to 'Spin down' ; see Advanced Sleep Options. All of this can be managed. My Servers for example never 'rest' they're running 100% 7/24/365, but my Workstations go into sleep mode after 30 minutes.

NAS or Windows Server is indeed a 'better' option for backup management.

SSD's are instant on verses the HDD 'spin up delay'. The MOBO is okay for mirroring RAID 1 and semi-okay for most RAID 0. RAID 0, 1, and 10 are very simple RAIDs that require NO parity calculations, but SSD are so fast that many are 'too fast' for some MOBOs. In RAID 0 {Primary} you cannot afford errors!
m
l
!