Mesh Window and Dust when using liquid cooling

Easymoney_82

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
Say I am thinking about getting the Coolmaster Storm Sniper and the Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Liquid cooling kit, do I really need a case with a side mesh window or should I be looking for somethign enclosed to minimize dust?

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
First off, don't make 2 threads.

Second, no matter what you'll have an issue with dust. It's just a fact that you have to put up with. Mesh generally helps collect dust, but therein lies a problem; it's covered in dust. Windows won't allow dust through, but limit airflow, and still allow dust to enter via the fans. No matter what, you'll need to clean your computer on a regular basis.

Easymoney_82

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
Yeah, my double post was an accident...got some kind of error message when I first posted.

I understand that maintenance will be required. I will be running a Nvidea gtx 480. Given that I will also be using liquid cooling, wouldnt it be preferable to choose a case without that giant side mesh panel on the Coolmaster Sniper, thereby reducing dust and potentially noise? or is it better to have the added ventilation in addition to the liquid cooling. I do not anticipate overclocking at this time.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

That's cool, just making sure you're not trying to get attention :D

It depends on where you mount your radiator(s) I guess. If it's mounted externally, then it's pretty much down to personal preference. If you mount the rad(s) internally, then I'd want as much airflow as possible, as to reduce the ambient temps inside the case.

G

"that giant side mesh panel" is the worst thing ever happen to PC case design!!!
As of air flow, it can only make it worse, as it is not a flow anymore, it became more of a move.
And dust can be kept out only if you have intake fans with filters, and do believe that there are still some cases that are built this (the right) way! With filters you won't get dust in CPU and GPU coolers!!! And nothing larger than nano bacteria and static dust will ever enter your PC!