Sign in with
Your question

Random Freezing

Last response: in Systems
April 13, 2010 6:15:26 PM

Hello Everyone,
I have been having lost of problems with my rig since i built it. First, i had to RMA the graphics card because it was running incorrectly and then my motherboard. About a week after I got my motherboard back, I have started getting random system freezes. For example, i was trying to copy a file from my camera to my hard drive and the entire system locked up and made a strange noise like static but worst. Then i decided to run prime95 to see whether or not it was some random thing. Every time i run prime95 the system crashes. Could this be my power supply or is this software related? I am really confused and starting to get angry at. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
System Specs:
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
AMD Phenom ii 965 x4 BE
Mushkin 2x2GB 1600 mhz blackline
XFX Radeon HD 4890
Corsair 620hx
WD Caviar Black 500GB 7200RPM

More about : random freezing

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
April 13, 2010 7:13:45 PM

There is potentially two problems here. First, overheating. When you stress the CPU to such a high level, it overheats. The computer then shuts down to protect the components. Grab a temperature program (like RealTemp or anything really) and see how hot the CPU runs.

Second, the RAM might not be set properly. Check BIOS to make sure the specs are set correctly. After that, run MemTest86+ (download from memtest.org and burn to a CD) overnight or through at least 7 passes.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 13, 2010 7:17:33 PM

Which exact Mushkin Blackline kit do you have? All these match your description:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Like MadAdmiral said, a common cause of system freezes is incorrect RAM settings in the BIOS. You should manually set the speed, timings, and voltage to the manufacturer's specs in the BIOS.
m
l
Related resources
April 14, 2010 9:56:53 PM

I am using Mushkin 996657 RAM. I am beginning to think it is my power supply because i ran memtest86 for about 8 hours with 9 passes and here were no errors. You guys know any way of testing a power supply? Thanks Again for the quick replies.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 14, 2010 10:01:18 PM

Have you manually set the RAM speed, timings, and voltage to their rated specs of 1600MHz, 7-7-7-20, and 1.95v? Memtest86+ is great at detecting faulty RAM, but not great at detecting incorrect RAM settings. I've seen a few unstable systems pass multiple passes of Memtest86+. Manually setting the RAM values nearly always made the system stable.

The fact that your RAM runs at very high voltages for DDR3 RAM makes this even more important since it's very likely that your motherboard will not provide the RAM with enough voltage when using "auto" settings in the BIOS.
m
l
April 14, 2010 10:03:10 PM

Yes, the RAM was set to these settings right after I built the system and when I received a replacement motherboard.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 14, 2010 10:03:37 PM

Grab OCCT....run the CPU, Memory, GPU and PSU torture tests (1 hour each) ....llok at the graphs when done and look for anything weird.
m
l
April 14, 2010 10:16:39 PM

I downloaded and installed OCCT. I started with the CPU test. The system froze about 90 seconds into the test. I am really confused now.. Thanks again for the replies.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 14, 2010 10:17:12 PM

What are your idle and load CPU temps?
m
l
April 14, 2010 10:17:27 PM

BTW, the CPU temperatures are normal, about 35 degrees Celsius. Load use to go to about 45 degrees.
m
l
!