SSD + Asus P7P55D-E LX

izak

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
I just installed a Samsung 830 128GB SSD with my Asus P7P55D-E LX. The performance is seriously lacking. In using Performance Test 7.0 it shows the Read as 150MBps, the write as 97MBps, and the Random Seek +RW at 114MBps. Samsung's site advertises this drive as 520MBps read and 320MBps write. I understand the performance is usually a bit lower then what the manufacture advertises but this is a huge difference.

This is a clean install Windows 7 64bit Ultimate Edition, I updated the BIOS for the Motherboard. I installed all the drivers from Asus's disc, including the Marvell® PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller drivers. AHCI is enabled. It's connected to the first Sata III port on the Motherboard. Samsung is preventing me from updated the firmware on the drive, claiming it's unsupported. I'd imagine that's because he was bought OEM.

The driver for the device (within W7 64bit) is 6.1.7600.16385. I'm not sure if thats Window's own driver or samsung's.

One of my concerns is that I've never used the Sata III ports before on this Motherboard. In the bios they don't display when viewing connected store devices. In checking the boot priority, this drive is shown as the primary. It's also the only storage drive currently connected. The cable connecting the drive is verified as Sata III.

So I'm not sure if I should be concerned that the 2 SATA III ports don't show, but still allow me to use the drive. Samsung won't let me update the drive's drivers. I didn't see TRIM listed in the BIOS. I'm lost as to what my next step should be to troubleshoot, or if i should return the drive.

Thank you for your assistance.

The Marvell 9123 controller on your motherboard has a maximum data bandwidth of PCIe x1 at 5Gb/s (500MB/s). You will not get advertised speeds from any 6Gb/s SSD connected to those ports.

A majority of SSD manufacturers base their advertised Read/Write speeds upon ATTO & AS-SSD benchmark software.

ATTO uses highly compressible data to test Read/Write speeds and AS-SSD uses highly incompressible data to test Read/Write speeds.

It’s possible that Performance Test 7.0 uses highly incompressible data to test Read/Write speeds.

Benchmark with ATTO and let us know what your maximum Read/Write results are.

for the bios update have you tried plugging the sata drive into one of the blue ports and run it the update off the intel chipset.
it could be that the bios update program may not be seeing the drive on the other chipset. I would also check the data of the marvell driver see if it newer or higher then the one on asus web page. also try using crystaldiskmark 3.01 it more made for testing ssd then a full pc bench marker there also atto disk benchmark 2.4x that out there online. i would also run the benchmark with the ssd on the intel ports to see if it the ports or the drive.

You're getting SATA 1.0 (1.5Gb/s) speeds; something's definitely wrong.
Yes, connect it to one of the Intel SATA II ports and retest.

The last thing you should try before you return the drive is to Secure Erase it.
That will restore the drive to fresh-out-of-the-box condition.
Do a fresh install after the Secure Erase.

If you're still getting the same results then you should return the drive.

izak

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007

You should use Magician software. If it did not come with your SSD you can download it from Samsung's support website.
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/MZ-7PC128N/AM

Those Read/Write speeds are good and are about what you expect to see when connected to SATA II ports.

Looks like you don't need to Secure Erase after all; it was just the Marvell ports that were giving you such bad performance.

You'll have to save up to get a motherboard that has native 6Gb/s ports.

ezra84

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Right now I am installing a clean version of windows 7 on my new Crucial M4 128GB SSD on an Asus P7P55D-E.

I have connected the SSD to the Marvell controller and 2x Samsung HDDs 1TB RAID0 to the Intel controller.

Even though everything seems to be working up till now, should I connect the SSD to the Intel controller as well?
I don't mind some speed loss but I really care about a stable system.

Also, is the JMicron controller of any use?

For clarification, the P7P55D-E has the following SATA controllers:
6x Intel
1x JMicron
2x Marvell 6G

I hope you guys can help out. If any info is missing, feel free to ask.

Thanks

antigin

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
It seems that something wrong with Marvell 6G controller, it works like SATAI. I have P7P55D-E LX motherboard also and recently have bought Intel SSD 520S 120GB. Tried installing different drivers to Marvell controller. Set AHCI of course. Operation system Win7 64-bit. Tested a lot of times in ATTO and CrystalDM. Results are the same: ~120-125 write; ~140-200 read. Will try to set SSD to Intel controller port.

Upd
Connected to Intel controller SATAII port. Now speeds are near 260-285 both write and read.

arora7dm

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013

Hi,

I am also in a similar situation. Just got a new HyperX 240 GB SSD. Posted rates are 555 (R) and 510 (W). I got an average of 160 and 150 on CrystalDM, when connected to SATA 6GB port on this motherboard. I installed newest version of Marvell controller from ASUS's website, aligned my SSD, set AHCI, disabled hibernation and everything else to fine-tune my drive.. Finally had to connect to Intel SATAII and now the speeds are in ~260 range for both read and write... Is that it? Does anyone know if I could try something else?

I read the manual and it seems I can do IOpower up? - http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P7P55DE_LX/#overview
Anyone tried it? How does it work?

Thanks..

ArdameL

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016
P7P55D is the most problematic motherboard I've ever seen. According to its specs, It should be supporting this kind of essentials without an issue.