user_account_

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Hi ladys and gentlemen . Recently i recently took apart my pc to give it a clean as dust was accumalating . I made a very silly error which i presume a few of us have. I placed my cpu with heat sink and fan correctly back . but what i didn't do was place the wire for the fan into the motherboard. you get the picture :S silly i no. As i pressed the button that started up my pc i noticed what i had done and went to turn it off straight away via the power supply unit switch. Before I was able to turn it off my pc had already done so by itself as i had just fried the cpu ;'(. Well after a few months i am still using it but have a few problems. In fairness they dont seem like cpu related errors then again the reason while i am asking you is purely because of my stupidity.

1st Error after my stupidity+5hours. Whilst playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call of Pripyat had a complete crash nothing at all responcive. Restarted and windows need to check errors ect. While i was repairing it would just freeze again. I have had this a few times and at one point i couldnt do nothing as it just crashed just after bios load up.I left it my pc off for a few days and tried attempting to reinstall. I managed this but then again the same problem happend. Few days later i managed to get past repairing and formated my hard drive and reinstalled windows 7. I have now installed windows xp to a 20gig ide maxtor hd and have had no problems. Also when running windows 7 no problems. Im not really sure what the problem could be and if any one could help that would be a god send as i can then buy and replace what ever the problem could be thanks in advanced to anyone if any a big big thank you my spec are as follow

Processor: AMD X2 240 @2.8ghz NON OC

MoBo: N68-s
2GB KVR 800 @ 400mhz

HDD: STM32503 18AS SCSI 250GB

HDD:MAXTOR WDC WD200ED-11PFO 20GB IDE

Graphics: Nvidia 9400gt 512MB

Could be a lot of things, I "assume" that you cleaned-off both the CPU & Heat-sink and REPLACED your thermal paste?? I recommend cleaning them with isopropyl alcohol 91%, and getting a good thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5).

In addition, I would recommend that you restart into your bios and go through your settings by loading "Optimized Settings", save them, and see if things go a little better. For the "most part" most MOBO will shut down if you do something like what you wrote before damage occurs.

user_account_

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Thanks alot and no i didn't no apply thermal paste you say using alcohol 91% do you use that your self and i did load default setting thanks again

I can tell you it is certainly not a CPU problem caused by that. The CPU will not reach excessive temperatures in only a few minutes. Even if it did, all current CPUs have thermal protection. Even the older AMD Athlon 3200+ will shut down when it reaches the TJmax. Which seems to be at about 120C. If there was a heatsink on it, there is no way it would hit such an excessive temperature.

I left it my pc off for a few days and tried attempting to reinstall. I managed this but then again the same problem happend. Few days later i managed to get past repairing and formated my hard drive and reinstalled windows 7. I have now installed windows xp to a 20gig ide maxtor hd and have had no problems.

Sounds to me like the hard drive your originally had windows installed on had a problem with it. Unless I am misunderstanding.

Yep, like at the Drug Store and use Q-Tip swabs - DON'T pour it all over the CPU!!!!!!!

This is your problem! You'll be a happy camper! Also, it takes about 5-7 days for it to full cure; you can start using immediatly afterwards. The "week" is for optimized cooling, and since you are not OC you won't notice the difference. :D

Use the "Optimized" if available, the "Safe" are not what you want to use. The "settings" are typically an F(n) Function Key and are specified on the bottom of your screen in BIOS.

user_account_

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010

Thanks for the reply I did think it would be a hard drive error but it seems to be fine now I will buy a new Hard Drive and a CPU
Also my CPU did have heat sink and fan connected but didn't have the fan running as I forgot to plug it in when I booted it up

TRENDING THREADS