Sign in with
Your question

5850 crossfire, cooling

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 23, 2010 5:50:25 AM

Hello,
I currently have an HD 5850 installed, and was considering buying another for crossfire. However, my motherboard (Gigabyte EX58-UD3R) has the pcix16 slots separated by only 1 slot. I am afraid that two of these large cards will cause cooling problems for the top card.

My question is, are there any cooling solutions for the 5850 that will fit in the double-width space allowed by me motherboard?

I have the Coolermaster HAF932 case, so it has good airflow and low internal temps, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

More about : 5850 crossfire cooling

March 23, 2010 6:32:55 AM

i don;k know of any coolers designed specifically for the 58xx series.
m
l
March 23, 2010 8:53:05 AM

Hey there,

Don't worry too much about heat. These cards should be OK for 100C.

I have 2 5970s in slots 1 and 2 and my temps go to 80C max under load. Set a profile in CCC to run fans @ 40-50% (depending on your threshold for fan noise).

If you want, you can place a couple of 120mm case fans adjacent to the cards to keep good airflow.

Arctic cooling has after market coolers but I believe they may be triple slot coolers.

Good luck.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 23, 2010 9:16:29 AM

Watercool those beasts!.

But seriously hunuok is right, and the cards should be fine. HD5850's don't run hot and you have a HAF932 (I have one too! :p  ) which has a 230mm Fan blowing on the graphics cards.
You'll be peachy.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 23, 2010 2:04:57 PM

The 5800 series cards will overheat if they are right next to each other and you run something like furmark :D . Other than running furmark while having poor case ventilation though they seem to operate well enough. I got my 5870 with the inverted cooler so I wouldn't have to worry about it if I upgraded latter on to a motherboard that placed the PCI-E slots closer, assuming I have two 5870s by then anyway ^_^.

If you are worried about the heat I am not aware of any inverted coolers for the 5850. You could slap a water block on them, but with your case you should be o.k just they way they are.
m
l
March 23, 2010 2:40:38 PM

Thanks a lot! I'll try cranking up the fan and see how loud it gets.

Watercooling would be great, but as this is my first real build, I'm sticking with air, at least for now.

Thanks again!
m
l
!