Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is my news server acting up?

Tags:
  • Servers
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 3:55:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

The past few days when I open up the 3 NG's I subscribe to, I see one
new message here. When I click on this NG the one new one disappears.
This morning it says 2 new ones and when I click on it, the two new
ones are from the 14th. "The editor has been released.." posted by
Geneve and Mos.
I use Mozilla as my Web Browser. Anyone else having this problem?
Albert

More about : news server acting

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 3:55:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:55:07 GMT Albert Conklin said :
>
> The past few days when I open up the 3 NG's I subscribe to, I see one
>new message here. When I click on this NG the one new one disappears.
> This morning it says 2 new ones and when I click on it, the two new
>ones are from the 14th. "The editor has been released.." posted by
>Geneve and Mos.
> I use Mozilla as my Web Browser. Anyone else having this problem?
>Albert


What are you using for a Newsgroup Reader ?

I suggest going that route instead of a browser unless you are on
servers like www.newsguy.com that have direct reading/writing
with the web browser ability.

I have Mozilla installed but use IE most of the time.

There are times I will read/reply with both Xnews and Newsbin pro.

Geneve


--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 7:48:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:55:07 GMT, Albert Conklin <aconklin@satx.rr.com>
wrote:

> The past few days when I open up the 3 NG's I subscribe to, I see one
>new message here. When I click on this NG the one new one disappears.
> This morning it says 2 new ones and when I click on it, the two new
>ones are from the 14th. "The editor has been released.." posted by
>Geneve and Mos.
> I use Mozilla as my Web Browser. Anyone else having this problem?
>Albert

I've been using a free newsserver - teranews since dfn went commercial and
they do have a problem with re-acquiring old posts from their feeds and
offering them as new posts. It only happens every few days so as long as
I keep an eye on the dates it's not too much of a problem.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
Related resources
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:07:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:48:56 -0600 Michael Cecil said :
>
>I've been using a free newsserver - teranews since dfn went commercial and
>they do have a problem with re-acquiring old posts from their feeds and
>offering them as new posts. It only happens every few days so as long as
>I keep an eye on the dates it's not too much of a problem.
>

I think www.bubbanews.com allows 50 megs a day for free.

Maybe good for cross reference?


--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 6:10:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Geneve wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:55:07 GMT Albert Conklin said :
>
>> The past few days when I open up the 3 NG's I subscribe to, I see one
>>new message here. When I click on this NG the one new one disappears.
>> This morning it says 2 new ones and when I click on it, the two new
>>ones are from the 14th. "The editor has been released.." posted by
>>Geneve and Mos.
>> I use Mozilla as my Web Browser. Anyone else having this problem?
>>Albert
>
>
>
> What are you using for a Newsgroup Reader ?
>
> I suggest going that route instead of a browser unless you are on
> servers like www.newsguy.com that have direct reading/writing
> with the web browser ability.
>
> I have Mozilla installed but use IE most of the time.
>
> There are times I will read/reply with both Xnews and Newsbin pro.
>
> Geneve
>
>
Like Netscape, In Mozilla, I usually use the Newsgroup reader that
comes with them.
Albert
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 6:10:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 03:10:55 GMT Albert Conklin said :
>
> Like Netscape, In Mozilla, I usually use the Newsgroup reader that
>comes with them.
>Albert


Are those not more prone to secutiry problems as well as viruses
and not to mention harder to deal with multi part binary posts ?


--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 10:33:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Geneve wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 03:10:55 GMT Albert Conklin said :
>
>> Like Netscape, In Mozilla, I usually use the Newsgroup reader that
>>comes with them.
>>Albert
>
>
>
> Are those not more prone to secutiry problems as well as viruses
> and not to mention harder to deal with multi part binary posts ?
>
>

I'm not sure why you would think that. The browser and newsreader that
are known for security issues are Internet Explorer and Outlook/OE.
Mozilla has developed a reputation for making security a priority, and
responding to security issues quickly. In short, Mozilla's security
record is leaps and bounds ahead of Microsoft's.

I don't know about multi-part binary messages, because I've never dealt
with them.

By the way, since it sounds like you might not realize this, Mozilla
(specifically the Mozilla Suite, AKA Seamonkey) is an application suite
that includes a web browser and a mail/news client (as well as a chat
client, web page authoring tool, and a few other things). It was also
the foundation for the last versions of the Netscape application suite.
Mozilla Thunderbird is a stand-alone mail and news client based on
Mozilla, and Mozilla Firefox is a stand-alone web browser based on
Mozilla. I use Thunderbird and Firefox.

-Kevin
--
My email address is valid, but changes periodically.
To contact me please use the address from a recent posting.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 5:41:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Kevin Goodsell wrote:

> Geneve wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 03:10:55 GMT Albert Conklin said :
>>
>>> Like Netscape, In Mozilla, I usually use the Newsgroup reader that
>>> comes with them.
>>> Albert
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Are those not more prone to secutiry problems as well as viruses
>> and not to mention harder to deal with multi part binary posts ?
>>
>>
>
> I'm not sure why you would think that. The browser and newsreader that
> are known for security issues are Internet Explorer and Outlook/OE.
> Mozilla has developed a reputation for making security a priority, and
> responding to security issues quickly. In short, Mozilla's security
> record is leaps and bounds ahead of Microsoft's.
>
> I don't know about multi-part binary messages, because I've never dealt
> with them.
>
> By the way, since it sounds like you might not realize this, Mozilla
> (specifically the Mozilla Suite, AKA Seamonkey) is an application suite
> that includes a web browser and a mail/news client (as well as a chat
> client, web page authoring tool, and a few other things). It was also
> the foundation for the last versions of the Netscape application suite.
> Mozilla Thunderbird is a stand-alone mail and news client based on
> Mozilla, and Mozilla Firefox is a stand-alone web browser based on
> Mozilla. I use Thunderbird and Firefox.
>
> -Kevin
I use Mozilla 1.7.1. Is that just plain ole Mozilla?
Albert
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 5:41:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 02:41:36 GMT Albert Conklin said :
>
> I use Mozilla 1.7.1. Is that just plain ole Mozilla?
>Albert


This one says :

Firefox version 0.9

Also says

"Mozilla/5.0(Windows;U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US;rv:1.7_Gecko/200040614 Firefox/0.9
"

whatever all this is about....


--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 6:36:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Geneve wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 02:41:36 GMT Albert Conklin said :
>
>> I use Mozilla 1.7.1. Is that just plain ole Mozilla?
>>Albert
>
>
>
> This one says :
>
> Firefox version 0.9
>
> Also says
>
> "Mozilla/5.0(Windows;U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US;rv:1.7_Gecko/200040614 Firefox/0.9
> "
>
> whatever all this is about....
>
>
After the Mozilla 1.7.1 is says:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.1) Gecko/20040707
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 10:56:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 03:36:06 GMT Albert Conklin said :
>
>After the Mozilla 1.7.1 is says:
>Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.1) Gecko/20040707

Looks like I am behind. Thank you.

Geneve


--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 9:39:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Albert Conklin wrote:
>
> I use Mozilla 1.7.1. Is that just plain ole Mozilla?
> Albert

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you asking whether what you have is the
suite or one of the other products (e.g., Firefox or Thunderbird)? It
looks like a suite version number to me. It looks like the Suite is up
to version 1.7.5, with 1.7.6 release candidates out. These are mostly
security-related updates, I think, so updating would be a good idea
(though you might want to wait for 1.7.6 to avoid having to update again
right away).

There is also a beta of version 1.8 available, but it was just announced
that there will not be a final official 1.8 release.

-Kevin
--
My email address is valid, but changes periodically.
To contact me please use the address from a recent posting.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 9:52:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

Geneve wrote:
>
> This one says :
>
> Firefox version 0.9
>
> Also says
>
> "Mozilla/5.0(Windows;U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US;rv:1.7_Gecko/200040614 Firefox/0.9
> "
>
> whatever all this is about....
>
>

Firefox 0.9 is fairly old now, and has some known security issues that
have been fixed in recent releases. 1.0.2 is planned to be released soon.

As far as I know, that User Agent string translates this way:

Mozilla/5.0 -- basically meaningless, most modern browsers have this (or
something similar) for historical reasons.

Windows -- Obvious.

U -- U.S. version. This relates to the cryptographic strength. Exporting
strong encryption apparently violates U.S. law, so there's an
international version (with 'I' instead if 'U') with weaker cryptography.

Windows NT 5.0 -- Your actual Windows version. NT 5.0 is also known as
Windows 2000, I believe.

en-US -- Locale, of course.

rv:1.7.6 -- This is either the Mozilla version it is based on, or the
Gecko version. I think it's the Gecko version.

Gecko -- The name of the underlying rendering engine.

20040614 -- The build date, probably. June 14, 2004.

Firefox -- The application name

0.9 -- The application version

-Kevin
--
My email address is valid, but changes periodically.
To contact me please use the address from a recent posting.
!