G

current system
q6600 @ 3.0
p5w dh
4gb ocz Reaper
coolermaster i green 600w
2x 1 tb Samsung SpinPoint F3
Gainward GTX 260 Golden Sample

I use my system for gameing and video converting but metro 2022 made my rig to show its age and i will be wanting to play crysis2

i am a amd / nvidia fanboy but the q6600 has moved me to intel so i might as well stay with intel also the the ati 5970 is looking tempting.
am i correct in thinking that my current system would bottleneck a 5970 or gtx 480 ,if so what would i need to get the best out of thse cards

i dont want to spend much more than £1000

G

i would like to just upgrade my gpu but i think the rest of my system will be a huge bottleneck to a high end card i also think my mb is only a pcie 1.0 but i do have a spare msi p35

i will probley shop a ebuyer.com

If it were me, I think I'd sell that system and start anew....perhaps keep the 260 as a dedicated PhysX card if you do an ATI build and keep one of the two F3's.

Personally, I won't pay $100+ over MSRP so , for me at least, that rules out the 5970. On a dollars per frame basis, the ATI 5850 and nVidia 470 run pretty neck and neck at about $9 per fps. The 5970 is well over $11. You could build a new box within your budget plus what you get back from selling off the old system. Buy yourself a 2nd GFX card come Xmas time.

dmcfc

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Kind of agree on selling the system and starting a new one, because first of all the cpu would bottleneck a high end gpu like 5970, buying a 5970 you would also have to change your psu because it really is just not enough for a 5970 neither a gtx 480.

So yes I think the best option as JackNaylorPE said is sell your system keeping one of the HD's and buy a new parts for a new build.