Sign in with
Your question

How much ram?

Last response: in Systems
April 13, 2010 10:01:59 PM

Forum members,

I will be throwing together a new gaming PC soon, and I was wondering how much ram I should get to help "future proof" my rig. I was thinking of getting 6 gigs at 1333, but recently have been wondering if I should go with 9 gigs at 1333.

Would 9 gigs be overkill, or would I see a good performance gain during gaming?

Other info:

Windows 7 Home 64-bit
I haven't settled on a MB.
Will be playing at 1080p
i7 930...I might overclock
HDD Raid 0...not sure what size yet
ATI 5970 2gb version...probably won't overclock

Let me know if I need to supply anymore info.

Cheers,

Stizzal

More about : ram

a b B Homebuilt system
April 13, 2010 10:06:24 PM

It all depends what you plan to do. If you're doing video rendering I guess more the better. If you plan to run 10 memory heavy programs at any time then more the better.

If you plan to play games then 4 or 6 gigs is fine.
Either way do the 6 gigs (since you're triple channel) and add another 6 later.
Depending on what your mobo can support I say go for the ddr3 1600s not 1333.
m
l
April 13, 2010 10:39:53 PM

fastx21,

Thanks for the input. Besides gaming, I usually just use Microsoft Office for college and work, internet and media (music, movies, photos, etc.). I think I will go with 6 gigs for now, being sure there is room in the future for additional sticks.

The main reason I was asking was due to not having bought any recent games. I've put off buying any games till I get my new rig, so I wasn't sure on how requirements will go with DX11 and graphics progression.

Thanks,

Stizzal
m
l
Related resources
April 14, 2010 12:03:39 AM

6 GB is fine. The rest of your planned components are premium parts which might be much of an overkill but yes, definitely futureproof. But futureproof is a relative word. If you mean you can use your PC until 5 years from now, then yes. But how long it will remain top end? maybe in 1 or lucky in 2 years.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 14, 2010 1:34:54 AM

Depending on your intentions here, you could do that rig and follow the blow a crapton of money on a single rig and hope it works for quite a while route. Which sounds like the thing you've been doing for the past while. Especially with the comment about the fact that you haven't gotten any games for a while.

My path is to upgrade something major every year or two, and sometimes sell the old stuff. It keeps me with a pretty capable computer most of the time. It only doesn't compare with a huge thing like that right when it's bought. Not many people can afford a rig like that every two years and so at least many of the people who bought pentium 4 alienware rigs for $3000 back in 2004ish are still stuck with them. As such I don't think I've spent anywhere near that much on my about 3 computers since 2005.

Out of curiosity what's your current one?
m
l
April 14, 2010 2:41:01 AM

Randomkid,

Let me give some more background info on my scenario. I usually by a new rig every 3-4yrs. I buy one round of components, and will not upgrade further unless performance takes a big hit. After 3-4yrs, I will upgrade or buy a new build. By "future proof" I simply meant I wanted a system that will allow me to do my work, school and, most importantly,game at med to high detail for at least 3yrs. I hope that makes sense. haha

False_Dmitry_,

Read above... I guess I invest in my computer differently. I'm buying some higher end components but I will use this rig for at least 3yrs. Which is why I asked about the ram amount. I haven't done much gaming this past year,which is a long time for me. I wasn't quiet sure how gaming requirements were progressing.

Regarding your last question...The computer I currently have is not homebuilt. It is a Dell XPS. I was offered a free computer with my job, so I went with a pre-built at that time. I have had this computer for 3 yrs or more now.
C2D 6600 2.4
4gigs of RAM
8800gtx

-Stizzal
m
l
April 14, 2010 7:35:02 AM

Stizzal said:
Randomkid,

Let me give some more background info on my scenario. I usually by a new rig every 3-4yrs. I buy one round of components, and will not upgrade further unless performance takes a big hit. After 3-4yrs, I will upgrade or buy a new build. By "future proof" I simply meant I wanted a system that will allow me to do my work, school and, most importantly,game at med to high detail for at least 3yrs. I hope that makes sense. haha

-Stizzal

It does make sense. Like I said, your planned build is currently cutting edge. But if you only envision 3-4 years useful life, you don't need that too cutting edge.
Your C2D 6600 & 8800GTX lasted you more than 3 years now and you can still buy parts that is equivalent or even weaker than what you have. The fact that they did lasted you 3 years means your demand for processing and graphics power is not that much and does not warrant top of the line products.

Of course it is your money but if you ask me, a Phenom II X4 with an HD5850 ( since you just want to play at 1920x1080) could last you just as long at probably half the price of your planned build.
m
l
April 14, 2010 8:20:37 AM

I have 4 gigs on my, and it feels like enough for now. Unless you do something really major, 6 gigs would be more than enough.
m
l
April 14, 2010 11:59:25 AM

randomkid said:
It does make sense. Like I said, your planned build is currently cutting edge. But if you only envision 3-4 years useful life, you don't need that too cutting edge.
Your C2D 6600 & 8800GTX lasted you more than 3 years now and you can still buy parts that is equivalent or even weaker than what you have. The fact that they did lasted you 3 years means your demand for processing and graphics power is not that much and does not warrant top of the line products.

Of course it is your money but if you ask me, a Phenom II X4 with an HD5850 ( since you just want to play at 1920x1080) could last you just as long at probably half the price of your planned build.

I see where you are coming from. I will look into the 5850 cards. I've always bought Intel parts, but I'll look into the AMD spectrum. Overall, I think I need to do more research before I purchase anything. I really appreciate the input. ThankS! :D 
m
l
April 15, 2010 6:13:30 AM

Most welcome. :)  much of the fun actually comes from putting up the specs that will be best fit for you... so let us know what you are able to put up and we will be more than happy to comment on it...
m
l
April 15, 2010 12:28:40 PM

Sounds good! School will be done in a few weeks, so I'll start during some more research on parts at that time.
m
l
!