Intel i5 - 650 or AMD Phenom II X4 Quad 955

G

I currently have an Intel i5 - 650 CPU but i still want to achieve some more smoother game play, and was thinking a quad core would help, and was looking into the AMD Phenom II X4 Quad 955.

Would anyone advise this, or recommend something else?

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Don't waste your money. i5-650 is much more than capable in most games and will be fine for any game when OCed to 4.2GHz which is very easy on 650.

Just invest the money saved from not getting a completely new platform in a high end GFX.

BTW, why did you get the insanely priced dual core i5? You could get a PII-955 instead for that price.

G

I went for the insanely priced intel core because i have always used intel CPU's and so i didn't want to change untill now im starting to notice i can get more for my money.

I really want a quad core CPU though to handle the latest games, as my i5 - 650 does struggle somewhat when things "start to kick off" whilst in game, and i notice a FPS drop from about 80 to 50.

As for OC'ing the 650, would you know any stable FSB numbers i can work from or anything else useful i could use in an attempt to overlock the CPU, im using an Asus P5-M motherboard.

G

Thats not an issue i have a spare AM3 motherboard.

G

I have a Nvidia 9800 GX2, i think that is fine for the latest games.

The 9800GX2 wasn't the greatest card to come along. It had severe heat issues..... sporadic in nature causing slow downs and lock ups. It also isn't the best with Crysis because of the 256bit memory interface. That, and the heat issue really hampered what should have been a good card. My friend has one and it was always nothing but trouble.

G

I have not had any issues with the card myself, but i agree it can not handle BC2 on high and nor does it run smoothly on medium settings, i can keep the heat below 80C by turning the fan up to %100. I still don't think a modern Nvidia 260 will out perform the Nvidia 9800 GX2.

asven1

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
i know the 260 will beat the 9800 gx2 i am running an i5 650 with BFG GTX 260 and in BC2 my FPS never drop below 55 running everything on high settings.