I7-3770k Overclocking to 1.64GHZ??

jimmyfixedme

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Previously with my i7-3770k I had a stable 4.2ghz oc(which I got from the bios). But today I started messing around with the Asus auto tuning, and it said it put my clock speed to 4.4ghz. But whenever I open Cpu-z and Asus suite, It says I have a CPU frequency of 1.6ghz. It ocassionaly moves up to 4ish but even when I validate the CPU-z it says 1.64ghz(http://valid.canardpc.com/2718659). It also shows my ram as being really slow(1866mhz in reality).

Any help would be much appreciated

Solution
^^ What he said. Speedstep automatically downclocks your CPU when it's under low load to save power and produce less heat. Again like he said, download and run Prime 95 and you will see your clockspeed go up to whatever you set it to unless your OC is unstable. In that case, your PC will lockup, get a blue screen or windows errors will pop up normally saying "xxx has stopped working". That's when you know you're very close to being stable.

EDIT: I noticed your baseclock up higher than normal (103Mhz). I would bring that back down to 100Mhz and play with the multiplier until it's stable first, and then start playing with the baseclock if you want.

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
^^ What he said. Speedstep automatically downclocks your CPU when it's under low load to save power and produce less heat. Again like he said, download and run Prime 95 and you will see your clockspeed go up to whatever you set it to unless your OC is unstable. In that case, your PC will lockup, get a blue screen or windows errors will pop up normally saying "xxx has stopped working". That's when you know you're very close to being stable.

EDIT: I noticed your baseclock up higher than normal (103Mhz). I would bring that back down to 100Mhz and play with the multiplier until it's stable first, and then start playing with the baseclock if you want.

Solution