Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Dell Studio Xps
  • Partition
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
December 27, 2012 10:16:53 PM

Hello,
Tried to install WIN XP PRO on partition on Dell XPS-14S that came with WIN 7 PRO and got: Error Message
STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0XC0000034,0X00000000, 0X00000000) and BSD

If I change in BIOS SATA operation from AHCI to ATA to enable XP installation will WIN 7 work with ATA (in spite of the warning)?

More about : win working ata

December 28, 2012 6:05:32 PM

Since you are dual booting you should set up XP to use a SATA driver.

Also, is there a reason you do not just install XP in a virtual machine?
m
l
December 30, 2012 6:57:14 PM

thx

I have XP mode on WIN 7 but I need XP PRO 32 bit

Another question: can I select ATA for booting the XP partiotion and AHCI for booting the WIN 7 partition?
m
l
Related resources
December 31, 2012 1:13:10 AM

XP mode IS XP Pro. What issues are you having with it?

Yes, but you would need to manually change the BIOS before each boot.
m
l
December 31, 2012 6:24:08 AM

PhilFrisbie said:
XP mode IS XP Pro. What issues are you having with it?

Not exactly. Its more of an emulation mode.
m
l
December 31, 2012 6:26:33 AM

braveb said:
thx

I have XP mode on WIN 7 but I need XP PRO 32 bit

Another question: can I select ATA for booting the XP partiotion and AHCI for booting the WIN 7 partition?

XP will install/boot using ACHI, you just need to have the driver for the chipset on a disk or slipstreamed on the cd.

look for the xp driver on your chipset manufacturers website. Last time I checked, both AMD and Intel were still offering XP chipset drivers for all their chipsets.
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:10:36 PM

FALC0N said:
Not exactly. Its more of an emulation mode.

It is XP Pro with special drivers that hide the startup and shutdown processes among other things.
m
l
January 1, 2013 1:15:58 AM

PhilFrisbie said:
It is XP Pro with special drivers that hide the startup and shutdown processes among other things.

No, it runs in a VM. There is a term for that. That term is emulation.
m
l
January 1, 2013 8:05:03 PM

FALC0N said:
No, it runs in a VM. There is a term for that. That term is emulation.

OK, to be pedantic: XP Mode is XP Pro running on virtual (emulated) hardware. There is nothing emulated about the XP Pro, just the hardware it is running on. . .
m
l
January 1, 2013 8:34:23 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
OK, to be pedantic: XP Mode is XP Pro running on virtual (emulated) hardware. There is nothing emulated about the XP Pro, just the hardware it is running on. . .

That's not an insignificant consideration. It can affect performance and software compatibility.
m
l
January 2, 2013 4:40:40 PM

FALC0N said:
That's not an insignificant consideration. It can affect performance and software compatibility.

The XP mode is still 64 bit but I have software that will not load and requires 32 bit, which I was hoping to get on a separate installation on a separate partition.
m
l
January 2, 2013 6:34:38 PM

braveb said:
The XP mode is still 64 bit but I have software that will not load and requires 32 bit, which I was hoping to get on a separate installation on a separate partition.

That is simply not true. It is the 32-bit version of XP; I know, I have installed software that does not run on any 64-bit version of Windows.

Now, you do realize that you need to install the software INSIDE XP Mode, right? In other words, while XP Mode is running insert your CD (or download the install file into XP mode) and run the install file from inside XP Mode.
m
l
!