Sign in with
Your question
Closed

No 5.1

Last response: in Components
June 22, 2010 7:30:28 AM

I have just bought a cinema amp and want 5.1 from my pc
I have an audigy 4 pro and ran a coax to the amp i can get dolby digital from dvds but no 5.1 in games
i also tried a optical from my mother board intel Skyberg DP45sg
also tried a little cable from my soundcard to my gpu its a gtx 260
ive tried every combo i can think of in my control setup with no luck
every thing else is fine so i hope its not the amp its an onkyo tx-sr608
i am also on xp

Any advice would be great ive been at 3 days im beat

More about : question

June 22, 2010 7:47:24 AM

Which game are ya trying to get 5.1 out of? Are you completely sure it does 5.1?

If you're getting 5.1 from DVD's played in the PC but not from games played on the Pc, I'd be looking at the games or the sound driver.
June 22, 2010 12:19:18 PM

You can NOT transmit uncompressed 5.1 over SPDIF due to bandwith constraints. The only way to get 5.1 is to pass through a Dolby Digital or DTS signal. As PC games rarely [if ever] use those formats, the only way to get 5.1 over SPDIF is to get a soundcard with an encoder [Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect] that will do realtime conversion of 5.1 PCM to either 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS, which can then be sent over the connetion.
Related resources
June 22, 2010 4:46:27 PM

So wats the deal am i shelling out on a new sound card and if so which one and is using a coax a good choice
ive seen the late ati cards have on board sound and trasmit over hdmi would that work with games
thanks for replys
June 22, 2010 5:30:11 PM

The deal is that the source material (game, movie, music, whatever) has to provide 5.1 sound. If it doesn't - and most games do not - then you have to use outside devices to 'Upmix' it. The simplest way is to use an optical connection (spdif) or HDMI to an outside stereo receiver, and have the receiver do the upmixing.
June 22, 2010 6:16:05 PM

Any card with a Dolby Digital or DTS encoder on it (including but not limited to the Creative X-Fi Titanium, Auzentech X-Fi Forte, Asus Xonar D2/DX(DD only)/DS(DTS only)) should be able to encode your games' 5.1 audio and have it decoded on your receiver.

Also, most cards now seem to support optical connections, rather than coax. Your receiver should have an optical input.
June 22, 2010 7:04:57 PM

Scotteq, I haven't seen a major game in the past few years without a 5.1 (or even 7.1) output, even if it is upmixed internally by the game engine.

The issue in this case is simple: SPDIF can NOT carry uncompressed 5.1 audio. Period.

You have a few choices though:

1: Get a soundcard that can ENCODE to Dolby Digital or DTS in realtime.
2: Use analog
3: Use HDMI audio from GPU
June 22, 2010 9:01:15 PM

swindlehurst said:
So wats the deal am i shelling out on a new sound card and if so which one and is using a coax a good choice
ive seen the late ati cards have on board sound and trasmit over hdmi would that work with games
thanks for replys

Absolutely you should use HDMI if the option is available. No faffing about, you will get surround sound in games without a lossy encoding like dolby digital live.
June 22, 2010 9:20:54 PM

so any gpu with hdmi will do the job if thats so then why do most if not all nvidia cards not have hdmi and since when is coax not supporting full 5.1 the god damn ps2 had it or am i missing something pc on the huge tv in the front room is the bomb guess i better get gpu shoppin damn my missis is gonna hit the roof
June 22, 2010 11:20:45 PM

swindlehurst said:
so any gpu with hdmi will do the job if thats so then why do most if not all nvidia cards not have hdmi and since when is coax not supporting full 5.1 the god damn ps2 had it or am i missing something pc on the huge tv in the front room is the bomb guess i better get gpu shoppin damn my missis is gonna hit the roof

No, you need full HDCP compliance to transfer 8 channel Linear PCM and Dolby/DTS HD. No Nvidia card does. The only GPUs will full HDCP compliance are the ATI 5xxx series. The 5450 is a great HTPC card and costs only ~$35, has a thin profile and is passively cooled.
June 23, 2010 7:27:38 AM

thanks for all the help better get asking some gpu questions then
:pt1cable: 
June 23, 2010 11:53:36 AM

I personally don't like using the GPU that way; its simply using a standard Realtek sound chip thats already installed in 99.9% of all motherboards. You can get a damn good dedicated sound card (ASUS Xonar DS is a great low-budget option) for the same exact price.
June 23, 2010 4:37:07 PM

but the asus xonar does not have optical or coax out how will i get the signal to my amp
its cheaper option but i cant see how it would work
or do you use the little wire to your gpu
ive been lookin for days on the net its not very clear but if i dont get my dawn of war fix soon theres gonna be trouble
June 23, 2010 5:04:28 PM

The Xonar cards DO have optical out. They have an adapter which plugs into one of the mini-jacks. I don't think many cards at all have coax these days.
June 23, 2010 9:23:21 PM

gamerk316 said:
I personally don't like using the GPU that way; its simply using a standard Realtek sound chip thats already installed in 99.9% of all motherboards. You can get a damn good dedicated sound card (ASUS Xonar DS is a great low-budget option) for the same exact price.

What way? HDMI is a digital transport. The Realtek DAC is completely bypassed and it's used to stream 1s and 0s. Your A/V receiver becomes your sound card. If digital streaming was so prone to data loss it would have long been corrupted traveling from your motherboard's North Bridge.

The Xonar DS also has nothing the OP is asking for. Nice try.
!