9800gt eco & 9800gt

Is there a graph that has the perfomance difference between the 9800 gt EcoIntelligence vs the normal 9800 gt?

The 9800 gt normally has 600 mhz gpu and takes a 400 watt power supply.
The 9800 gt EcoIntelligence has 550 mhz gpu and take 350 watt power supply.

I'm thinking if a person would wanted to that could overclock the EcoIntelligence to be the same speed as a regular 9800 gt.
6 answers Last reply
More about 9800gt 9800gt
  1. The difference at stock clocks is about 5% but that is besides the point it is overclocking that counts a normal 9800gt can reach 700mhz on the core with the shaders linked while the eco can only reach the clocks that of the normal 9800gt at stock. Its the pci-e and lack of a 6pin power connector is what holds the eco back. Over all its not worth it people have complained about this card not working in their computers due to their boards not being able to supply the rated 75w limit. The card at loaded uses only 66w but that is 88% of the limit of the slot at default clocks. The normal 9800gt uses only slightly more power than the eco that has the same 55nm core and the 65 still only tops out at 85w at stock. The normal is rated for 105w max (only through overclocking can that level of power consumption can be reached). So it is up to you to decide but if you are going to this lame duck due to a weak psu isn't much an excuse any decent quality 400w unit is more than enough for a single 9800gt. Once seen a 2900xt running off a 400w unit and that card is rated 215w max.
  2. I might try a few different overclocks speeds on the new eco card I have. I have a 1950 watt psu. So no troubles there for overclocking. I have this card because my xfx 9800 gt memory went bad. So I picked up this eco at bestbuy at a dirt cheap price. The price was half of what a payed for my xfx card. But If I can overclock this to standard 9800 gt speed or even a tad faster I will be happy. I just need to watch the wattage this will pull because all of that is traveling through the motherboard and not through a 6 pin plug. Motherboard heat is a very bad thing.
  3. justy36 said:
    I might try a few different overclocks speeds on the new eco card I have. I have a 1950 watt psu. So no troubles there for overclocking. I have this card because my xfx 9800 gt memory went bad. So I picked up this eco at bestbuy at a dirt cheap price. The price was half of what a payed for my xfx card. But If I can overclock this to standard 9800 gt speed or even a tad faster I will be happy. I just need to watch the wattage this will pull because all of that is traveling through the motherboard and not through a 6 pin plug. Motherboard heat is a very bad thing.

Hmm is you psu wattage a typo or you are using a two phase (dual 115v inputs) unit? The eco will at the very least will get to standard clocks that of a typical 9800gt.
  4. 2+ phase.. It is huge. I could sli about 6 video cards off it lol. I original bought this psu for a server I have that's a stacker. But being it was laying around I modified it for a desktop. It's completely external. Not inside a tower case or something like that. I'm a engineer for a electronic company that makes things like custom psu or even custom servers.
  5. justy36 said:
    2+ phase.. It is huge. I could sli about 6 video cards off it lol. I original bought this psu for a server I have that's a stacker. But being it was laying around I modified it for a desktop. It's completely external. Not inside a tower case or something like that. I'm a engineer for a electronic company that makes things like custom psu or even custom servers.

Very nice those are quite rare at least in the US for pc use. Reminds me of the SGI graphics systems that ram off a 3 phase 220v.
  6. You are correct. It does require 220 volts. And does dim the lights when you first turn it on. I'm sure that is why my electric bill is usually $250-275 a month.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Overclocking GPUs Power Supplies Graphics