Tags:
  • Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
April 14, 2010 2:18:05 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2 weeks-2 months

BUDGET RANGE: $1000 Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Everything else.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc. I DO NEED AN OS.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, TigerDirect, MicroCenter(2 hours away from house)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD CPU, ATI 5770(?, see ADDITIONAL COMMENTS)

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes, in the future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy229/YumaDoi/cart2....

I'm sort of going for the 5770 build, which I can crossfire in the future. And I think a single 5770 is enough for the games that I play(Call of Duty series, C&C games). Also, with the 5770 build, I cut down on the price, which gives me room to fill my case with pretty LED fans. The MSI Hawk 5770 can also OC to 950/1400 or so, at stock voltage, with very low temperatures.

I just wanted yalls opinions on it, and see if you could come up with a build that could help me out. Thanks. BTW, most of my parts that are either the same price or less will be bought from Micro Center, as there is one about 2 hours away.

I am also buying it from a Micro Center because I live in Tennessee, 1 of the 3 states Newegg charges tax, and just for lower tax and no shipping costs.

More about : 900 gaming build

a b 4 Gaming
April 14, 2010 5:45:26 AM

^ Well get a little more powerful PSU if you want to add 1 more HD 5770 later on...Wiht the overclock on both the CPU and GPUs, that 550W might be a close call...Get a 600-650W PSU...
And CM Hyper 212+ cheaper @amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G1YPH0/ref=s9_simh...
m
l
April 14, 2010 7:13:02 AM

Lol dude look at my build. Its a 5770 setup and you CAN crossfire down the road. I will think you will like it :D .
m
l
Related resources
April 14, 2010 7:13:32 AM

and you can swap out the keyboard and mouse and still be around 1000. it might be something like 1007 give or take including shipping cost.
m
l

Best solution

April 14, 2010 7:30:13 AM

seems a very good build.

nothing i would change to be honest, except maybe the PSU.

if you want to crossfire 5770's id recommend getting a corsair TX650.
April 14, 2010 7:46:50 AM

why's that? my current psu is a modular higher whats, and has more cables.... sounds like everything you need for crossfire to me.
m
l
April 14, 2010 8:43:36 AM

It should be fine.

I've used the Antec PSU calculator and according to that, a crossfire 5770 build with these specs uses nearly 300W with the CPU at stock speeds.

Upping voltage to 1.5, you're close to 350W.

Assuming that PSU runs at 80% efficiency for easy math, it can deliver about 440W.

When taking into account that efficiency decreases over time, that might drop to 400W. Remember that the closer a PSU operates to its maximum capacity, the less efficient it is.

Overall, I'd say this PSU is perfect if you don't overclock or overclock at stock voltage. If not, get a bigger one as recommended here.
m
l
April 14, 2010 10:10:47 AM

"450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)"

thasts from the official ATI site, so sa much as they are usually conservative with their estimates, i would prefer not to brush too closely to the limit.

and EG, the number of watts is not that important. the PSU is the most important part of a system, and the one thing you should not skimp on. you want a high quality unit with plenty of amps on the 12v rail. not to say the fatality is bad, but its an older unit that i would rather avoid (but obviously, thats your choice to make)

since corsair make only top-quality PSUs, i always recommend them. you can't go wrong and they are always capable of supplying more than the stated number of watts.
but the OCZ is a good enough PSU, but i personally would not trust it for two 5770s.
m
l
April 14, 2010 11:41:38 AM

welshmousepk said:
"450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)"

thasts from the official ATI site, so sa much as they are usually conservative with their estimates, i would prefer not to brush too closely to the limit.

and EG, the number of watts is not that important. the PSU is the most important part of a system, and the one thing you should not skimp on. you want a high quality unit with plenty of amps on the 12v rail. not to say the fatality is bad, but its an older unit that i would rather avoid (but obviously, thats your choice to make)

since corsair make only top-quality PSUs, i always recommend them. you can't go wrong and they are always capable of supplying more than the stated number of watts.
but the OCZ is a good enough PSU, but i personally would not trust it for two 5770s.

I don't understand. are you saying my PSU is worse then the one you recommended? Or what?
m
l
April 14, 2010 11:58:11 AM

I will most likely get a Corsair TX650 then. Thanks guys.
m
l
April 14, 2010 11:58:52 AM

Best answer selected by yadumadoda.
m
l
!