Sign in with
Your question

How the pc could be a server ?

Last response: in Components
June 22, 2010 8:35:56 AM

hi everyone thanks for reading my thread ok first you can see from my signature my entire rig im gonna buy used pc for less than 100 $ with intel celeron actually i dont know anything about server stuff but how can i take advantage of my second system for example one of the reasons for me buying this new system that it well be downloading 24/7 i cant do that for my gaming system im afraid on it and the next question could i build websites and store them on my second pc and keep it online or can i host games server such as medal of honor ok thanks very much again

More about : server

June 22, 2010 12:33:08 PM

for all three of the reasons you listed, it doesn't really need to be a "server" in so much as it only needs a desktop OS.

1) downloading 24/7 - just connect to it remotely and have a client installed.
2) hosting a website - look at installing IIS (if using windows) and sorting out. something like this will help:
http://www.no-ip.com/support/guides/web_servers/setting...
3) depends on what game servers you're after. valve games in steam (most games in steam?) have dedicated servers that can be downloaded through tools. Don't know about others.
June 22, 2010 5:00:09 PM

^ Yup.

Other things to keep in mind for a game server:
1. Anti cheating tools enabled, installed,etc
2. Your internet connection has enough bandwidth.

For a file server or torrent box:
1. Run a dual boot system with Linux (Fedora,etc) and Windows.
2. Have a very good set of AV tools installed.
3. Firewall,etc set up correctly.

For a Website:
1. Get a LAMP set up (with PHP replaced with Pearl)
2. Firewall,etc set up correctly.
3. Get a domain registered,etc. if you don't use NoIP,etc.
4. It may be better/cheaper to use a web hosting service.

Related resources
June 22, 2010 5:13:29 PM

Why is this necessary?
June 23, 2010 2:54:50 AM

well thanks all of you guys but i was thinking around to use that for websites im new for this stuff i will learn pc building from my new pc its all the matter having experience and i want to use front page for building websites and keep them online on my new systems
June 23, 2010 7:18:17 AM

enzo matrix said:

Why is this necessary?

Because if you download a lot, and you pick up a virus, you can boot into linux and recover files/remove virus if you know directory, and fix your windows drive just with your linux OS.

When my roommate got a virus and we needed to save his files, USB boot disk into ubuntu and take all the tasty pieces and then reinstalled windows.

Especially effective if you can't boot into windows.
June 23, 2010 8:45:03 AM

JulianSidewind said:
Because if you download a lot, and you pick up a virus, you can boot into linux and recover files/remove virus if you know directory, and fix your windows drive just with your linux OS.

When my roommate got a virus and we needed to save his files, USB boot disk into ubuntu and take all the tasty pieces and then reinstalled windows.

Especially effective if you can't boot into windows.

Why not use the windows install disc and go into the recovery console and fix the boot issue since you are going to have to give the server a monitor, mouse and keyboard anyway?
June 23, 2010 8:59:05 AM

My advice is DON'T use FrontPage. use any other software, but FrontPage is terrible!
June 23, 2010 2:04:17 PM

mi1ez said:
My advice is DON'T use FrontPage. use any other software, but FrontPage is terrible!

What he said ;) 
June 23, 2010 4:51:03 PM

djcoolmasterx said:
Why not use the windows install disc and go into the recovery console and fix the boot issue since you are going to have to give the server a monitor, mouse and keyboard anyway?

Because for people like me who are unfamiliar with it, linux is easier to use:p 
I personally wouldn't install the linux to disk, I would just put it on a flash drive and attach and boot into it when i needed to.
June 23, 2010 6:26:16 PM

JulianSidewind said:
Because for people like me who are unfamiliar with it, linux is easier to use:p 
I personally wouldn't install the linux to disk, I would just put it on a flash drive and attach and boot into it when i needed to.

The recovery console is very simple, many times easier to fix boot issues than through Linux.

@OP you won't have any issues providing you have a half decent AV, don't run downloaded applications on the server itself and are careful with torrents(reading comments, using good trackers, peerblock etc).

Edit: Corrected for all you than fans out there.
June 23, 2010 6:31:19 PM

djcoolmasterx said:
The recovery console is very simple, many times easier to fix boot issues then through Linux.

recovery console is very simple, many times easier to fix boot issues than through Linux. :non: 
June 24, 2010 2:00:45 AM

enzo matrix said:

Why is this necessary?

A few reasons:
Linux is immune to most (not all) of the viruses,etc in the wild. The Dual Booting is just to allow you to run certain Windows only programs and such. I was going to say Linux + Windows on VM, but I doubt a Celeron could handle it.
!