Solved

No POST/No Display

When I plug in my graphics card, my ram, and my CPU and power the whole thing with my PSU I get nothing on my monitor but I do get the CPU fan to spin and the graphics card fan to spin and the power LED comes on the board.

Here's my hardware: Athlon II X4 630, XFX Radeon HD 5770, GSKILL DDR3 1600 Ripjaws (PC 12800), and Antec TP-750W.

Here's what I did to troubleshoot.
I took the motherboard out of the case and placed it on the motherboard box so there would be no short circuiting.
I unplugged my Hardrive and my Optical drive for simplification.
I had my friend bring his computer and I tested my RAM and my graphics card and my power-supply on his computer and his computer booted up fine.

So I think that means that I've narrowed it down to the motherboard or the CPU. I tried clearing the CMOS on the mother board and moving the RAM around to different ports to see if one of the ports is not working. I guess I still don't know if the BIOS is updated for my CPU but I was insured that it was when I called ASUS.

It puzzles me as to why the CPU fan would still spin if the motherboard is broken but I guess it could.

I'm posting on this forum because from the research I did online I haven't heard any problems about the CPU being bad but many about this motherboard being bad.

So is there any other tests I can try on my mobo before I RMA it?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about post display
  1. Yea I went through each of those steps in depth and now I'm at the point where I think I've narrowed down the problem to the motherboard.
    Look at what I've done, does it point to the motherboard being the bad one or am I missing something?
  2. So you had the 24 pin and the 8 pin power for your mobo pluged in right ?
  3. My power supply came with a 24 pin connector so I plugged that in the 24 pin connector. I am not aware of any 8 pin power.
    Here is a picture of my mobo and all I can see is the 24 pin power.
    http://www.euroconsolas.com/euroconsolas/spain/images/cp-10106623.jpg
  4. Best answer
    it looks like there is a 4 pin to the top left of the CPU that must be plugged in to supply power to your cpu

Some mobo have a 4 pin or 8 pin for the CPU power

its step 2 in the link i showed you
  5. Best answer selected by TheOKAY.
  6. I am officially the biggest noob that there ever was. I read that line so many times, each time assuming that I did not need to plug in the 4 pin since I already plugged in the 24 pin.

I am really sorry about that.
    Wow is my face red.
    BTW the system booted up fine. Really happy with the help here.
    Sorry once again.
  7. np glad you got it up and running
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Graphics Cards CPUs Motherboards Systems