Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade advice!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 23, 2010 11:57:35 AM

Hey everyone.

I've got a E2180 (yes yes) @ 2.00GHz, 2gb's ddr2 ram, and had a 8800GT.

That setup allowed me to run everything at the native res of my screen - 1680x1050 perfectly. Normally with everything maxed.

Alas, my beloved 8800GT (which cost me 160€ in 2007) broke down, and I bought a crap 45€ 9500GT just so I could run a few basic games and continue to work on the PC.

But - it's not enough.

I'm planning a full upgrade at the moment, switching to a Phenom II X4 945 Quad Core 3.0GHz, possibly 4 GB's of ram, but I'm completely at a loss regarding what graphics card to get.

I've always been a fan of Nvidia, and am leaning towards a 260GTX which is at 150€.

Though browsing through all the reviews here, I got the impression ATI is what I should be going for without a shadow of a doubt?

All I'm looking for is a card that allows me to come home at night and enjoy a few hours of gaming at my screens native res, without noticing frame rate drops. (I'd say something that can keep me in the high 30's with the new games) And I'm looking to spend between 120 - 180€ on it.... what would you guys recommend? Should I stick with getting a 260GTX or venture into the ATI frontier?

More about : upgrade advice

a c 147 U Graphics card
March 23, 2010 12:15:20 PM

Just out of curiosity, what brand is your 8800GT? Is it still under warranty? Some manufacturers have lifetime warranties or 1-3 years. Just something to check out first. Sometimes you will luck out if they replace it. They can't replace it exactly so will send you a "comparable card" which is usually better.

The reason ATI is a top choice for many is because Nvidia has not released their new generation of cards yet. ATI has already and is selling them like hotcakes. The GTX 260 is a great card, but honestly I would look at an ATI 5770. It has similar performance and the new drivers will continue to deliver better performance in certain games. The 10.3 is reported to boost performance in a list of games already. It also consumes less power than the GTX 260 and is DX11. It is basically a solid mainstream card. If you want more highend there is the 5850 and 5870, however, you are going to pay for them. There is the 5830 that sorta lays between the 5770 and 5850, however, I sorta think it's an odd card. It is as big as the 5870, and consumes more power than the 5850, but performs between the 5770 and 5850, more so it leans to the 5770 and not exactly half way between. It is also slightly overpriced in my mind for what it is.

bot the 5770 and GTX 260 are very overclockable, if you are into that. But if I had a choice I would go with the newer card that supports DX11 and has the potential to deliver more power as the drivers mature. The GTX 260 has been out for quite awhile, so don't plan on seeing much improvement with driver releases.
March 23, 2010 1:08:57 PM

My 8800GT was from Asus, it should still be under warranty as I bought it in November 07, and they give out a 3 year warranty... however, browsing through their site, they require the receipt from the purchase (as most do), and in an unfortunate turn of events, since I moved residency in the meanwhile, alot of old documents, like the receipt got lost along the way - in other words, I cant find it. :pfff: 

I just took a look at the 5870 and 5850, but they are quite abit beyond what I feel confortable in paying for a graphics card - I'm really not a "performance freak" at all.
I'd probably wait a few months until their price drops down to what Im looking for... however the 9500GT I have now is so aweful, I don't even think it was worth the 45€ I dished out for it - and the gamer in me is starting to get withdrawal symptoms :pt1cable: 

Back in 07 I bought that 8800GT for 160€ and it allowed me to run every game I bought up until it broke down at high / max without any hickups whatsoever. I still consider that card the best purchase I've made in what comes to price/performance.

Which is basically the same I'm looking for right now - something that will give me a stable / carefree performance, but it doesnt necessarly need to shock and awe in benchmarks.

The 5770 is sitting at exactly the same price as the GTX260 (at least where I buy my stuff) - thanks for the sugestion

a c 147 U Graphics card
March 23, 2010 1:24:40 PM

Sharpseh said:
My 8800GT was from Asus, it should still be under warranty as I bought it in November 07, and they give out a 3 year warranty... however, browsing through their site, they require the receipt from the purchase (as most do), and in an unfortunate turn of events, since I moved residency in the meanwhile, alot of old documents, like the receipt got lost along the way - in other words, I cant find it. :pfff: 

I'd call them anyway. I had a CD burner from Asus that I needed to send in for repair and I never needed the receipt. They can go by the manufacture date I believe as well. It's worth a try.

I'd opt for a 5770 over a GTX 260 myself.
!