tecra 8000 and XP

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 17, 2004 1:06:09 AM

Hi

Can I install XP onto my old Tecra 8000 without much problem??

Its a P2 300 with 14 inch screeen and 64 meg of ram and 8 gig drive.

My lad could use this for his GCSE's instead of me shelling out more
hard worked cash for a new machine.

Thanks in advance
Regards Andy T

--
For users by users - BY-users group
<http://www.by-users.co.uk&gt;

More about : tecra 8000

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 17, 2004 2:11:56 AM

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 22:21:10 +0100, "Alex Quant"
<alexqspam@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>"Andy T" <andy@westmidland-internet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Can I install XP onto my old Tecra 8000 without much problem??
>>
>> Its a P2 300 with 14 inch screeen and 64 meg of ram and 8 gig drive.
>>
>> My lad could use this for his GCSE's instead of me shelling out more
>> hard worked cash for a new machine.
>
>Yes, you can install and run XP on your Tecra but it will perform very
>poorly not because the processor is incapable but the memory is lacking. Buy
>a 128MB stick to add to the 64MB and it will run well. If you have the money
>I'd upgrade to the maximum 256MB (2 x 128MB modules).
money is tight so i'll go the 128 for now :)  Toshiba sell it for 70
quid plus vat is that the best price I can get??

Thanks for the reply
Regards Andy T

--
For users by users - BY-users group
<http://www.by-users.co.uk&gt;
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 17, 2004 4:45:22 AM

I'd say that you are off the bottom end of the hardware required.
Biggest problem is not enough memory, even 128 megs is marginal

Andy T wrote:

> Hi
>
> Can I install XP onto my old Tecra 8000 without much problem??
>
> Its a P2 300 with 14 inch screeen and 64 meg of ram and 8 gig drive.
>
> My lad could use this for his GCSE's instead of me shelling out more
> hard worked cash for a new machine.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Regards Andy T

Related resources
September 18, 2004 5:32:43 PM

I have Windows XP Pro running with no problems on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 with
the 266MHz processor (Andy's is the next step up). I have 512MB RAM on that
machine, and it's that RAM that's the important upgrade.

Dave

> I'd say that you are off the bottom end of the hardware required. Biggest
> problem is not enough memory, even 128 megs is marginal
>

> Andy T wrote:
>
>> Hi Can I install XP onto my old Tecra 8000 without much problem??
>>
>> Its a P2 300 with 14 inch screeen and 64 meg of ram and 8 gig drive.
>> Thanks in advance
>> Regards Andy T
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 20, 2004 5:50:12 AM

In a contingent reality, Dave possibly said:

> I have Windows XP Pro running with no problems on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 with
> the 266MHz processor (Andy's is the next step up). I have 512MB RAM on that
> machine, and it's that RAM that's the important upgrade.

How'd you get 2X256 to work on the machine?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 20, 2004 12:33:14 PM

>Crucial Recommends:
>The Toshiba Tecra 8000 PII300 has a maximum capacity of 256MB.
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:50:12 +0000 (UTC), Brad Everman
<deathdog@mx.freeshell.org> wrote:

>In a contingent reality, Dave possibly said:
>
>> I have Windows XP Pro running with no problems on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 with
>> the 266MHz processor (Andy's is the next step up). I have 512MB RAM on that
>> machine, and it's that RAM that's the important upgrade.
>
>How'd you get 2X256 to work on the machine?

I would like to know also before I order some :)

This is what crucial have to say.

Crucial Recommends:
The Toshiba Tecra 8000 PII300 has a maximum capacity of 256MB.

will be very interested in your reply. Thanks to all who have replied
so far!
Regards Andy T

--
For users by users - BY-users group
<http://www.by-users.co.uk&gt;
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 21, 2004 5:19:30 PM

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 08:33:14 GMT, Andy T
<andy@westmidland-internet.co.uk> wrote:

>>Crucial Recommends:
>>The Toshiba Tecra 8000 PII300 has a maximum capacity of 256MB.
>On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:50:12 +0000 (UTC), Brad Everman
><deathdog@mx.freeshell.org> wrote:
>
>>In a contingent reality, Dave possibly said:
>>
>>> I have Windows XP Pro running with no problems on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 with
>>> the 266MHz processor (Andy's is the next step up). I have 512MB RAM on that
>>> machine, and it's that RAM that's the important upgrade.
>>
>>How'd you get 2X256 to work on the machine?
>

>I would like to know also before I order some :)
>
>This is what crucial have to say.
>
>Crucial Recommends:
>The Toshiba Tecra 8000 PII300 has a maximum capacity of 256MB.

They likely believed Toshiba. I have 320 on my wife's machine.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 23, 2004 8:53:35 PM

In a contingent reality, Chris Hill possibly said:

>>Crucial Recommends:
>>The Toshiba Tecra 8000 PII300 has a maximum capacity of 256MB.
>

> They likely believed Toshiba. I have 320 on my wife's machine.

Yes, but what type of memory?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 16, 2004 4:27:22 AM

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:53:35 +0000 (UTC), Brad Everman
<deathdog@norge.freeshell.org> wrote:

>In a contingent reality, Chris Hill possibly said:
>
>>>Crucial Recommends:
>>>The Toshiba Tecra 8000 PII300 has a maximum capacity of 256MB.
>>

>> They likely believed Toshiba. I have 320 on my wife's machine.
>
>Yes, but what type of memory?

this is what crucial states

Step 1

Start by determining how many megabytes (MB) your notebook can hold.
The Crucial Memory Advisor has already done this step for you! The
maximum memory your Toshiba Tecra 8000 PII300 can support is 256MB.

did we ever get a definitive answer before I buy some ram??
Regards Andy T

--
For users by users - BY-users group
<http://www.by-users.co.uk&gt;
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 19, 2004 7:27:57 PM

> They likely believed Toshiba. I have 320 on my wife's machine.

I have asked directly now and this is my response.

I really would like to know what type and speed of memory those who
have more than 25 running are using so I can do the same.

You can see my reluctance to shell out before I get these answers from
those who know.

Hello

Thank you for your enquiry.

According to our information, this Tecra P11 300 takes SDRAM 66MHz. It
has 2 slots and can take a maximum of 128MB per slot.

It has a 300MHz processor and this will only accept 66MHz memory.

We do not support a 256MB 66MHz memory module.

If you have a manual, please look at memory details or consult your
manufacturer for further information

Regards

JACQUALINE TINSLEY
MEMORY ADVISOR
Tel: +44 (0)1355 586 100
Tel: +0800 013-0330
Fax: +44 (0)1355 586 101
mailto:crucialeusupport@micron.com

Crucial Technology - The Memory Experts(SM)
www.crucial.com/uk and www.crucial.com/eu

Regards Andy T

--
For users by users - BY-users group
<http://www.by-users.co.uk&gt;
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 20, 2004 5:37:54 PM

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:27:57 GMT, Andy T
<andy@westmidland-internet.co.uk> wrote:

>> They likely believed Toshiba. I have 320 on my wife's machine.
>
>I have asked directly now and this is my response.
>
>I really would like to know what type and speed of memory those who
>have more than 25 running are using so I can do the same.

I don't remember the brand, but I have 256mb and64mb pc-66. If the
money is real important to you, don't try this; if density problems
occur with laptop memory like they do on desktop ram, you may end up
with the wrong thing even if it seems correct.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 16, 2005 4:15:05 AM

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:32:43 -0400, "Dave" <docdeh@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have Windows XP Pro running with no problems on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 with
>the 266MHz processor (Andy's is the next step up). I have 512MB RAM on that
>machine, and it's that RAM that's the important upgrade.

dont suppose you are still around to tell us what ram to purchase are
you???

>Dave
>
>"Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I'd say that you are off the bottom end of the hardware required. Biggest
>> problem is not enough memory, even 128 megs is marginal
>>

>> Andy T wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Can I install XP onto my old Tecra 8000 without much problem??
>>>
>>> Its a P2 300 with 14 inch screeen and 64 meg of ram and 8 gig drive.
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> Regards Andy T

Regards Andy T

--