Sign in with
Your question

What am I doing wrong 7970 ghz

Last response: in Overclocking
March 6, 2013 5:26:42 AM

Am I doing something wrong I overclocked my 7970 VaporX ghz 3gb to 1200mhz/1700mhz. My numbers are pretty low compared to some bench mark tests im seeing on youtube of the same card. My CPU is i5 2500K OC to 4.2 could that be the difference? My heaven was 52.4 average and My 3Dmark11 test was P10210. What was really odd was the only thing in common with some of the other test I seen was the graphic score. Everything else was 2,000 away. Should I return this card or is there something on my end I'm not doing right? Im loving the card except for the coil whine when im above 60fps. I don't want to deal with returning it and stuff since I only had it for 2 days.

More about : wrong 7970 ghz

March 6, 2013 11:37:45 AM

Does the card remain at 1200/1700 throughout the bench and doesn't underclock itself to 1000/1500?
Have you used the same voltages as they have?
Does the bench you are comparing to have the same motherboard/cpu/ram, at the same clock as you?

I have a 7970 and it has horrible coil whine as well, when the load on the gpu is around 20-40% and high fps.
m
l
March 6, 2013 1:32:09 PM

I figured out the problem I guess I have beta drivers that effect my cards performance compared to theres. I don't know this card is making me nervous I might RMA it. I was getting artifacts this morning. I don't know if its because running furmark over heated the card or what?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2013 3:05:16 PM

1200/1700 is a pretty high overclock. Does it work good at stock? It sounds to me like you overclocked it too far/voltage isn't right.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2013 3:05:17 PM

1200/1700 is a pretty high overclock. Does it work good at stock? It sounds to me like you overclocked it too far/voltage isn't right.
m
l
March 7, 2013 2:04:03 AM

Are you artifacting at factory clock speed?
m
l
March 7, 2013 3:47:06 AM

I was artifacting for a second at factory after I brought it down when I first noticed it. My friend said it might be from heat and not a defective card to let it cool off and see if it happens again. I let it cool off and brought my overclock down to 1200/1600. That was the recommended stable overclock to try without touching voltage's. So far so good, It was partially my fault it got that hot. I slowly learned that furmark can cook your card after doing some research so I quickly uninstalled that crap.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2013 9:56:26 PM

NewbiePcgamer84 said:
I was artifacting for a second at factory after I brought it down when I first noticed it. My friend said it might be from heat and not a defective card to let it cool off and see if it happens again. I let it cool off and brought my overclock down to 1200/1600. That was the recommended stable overclock to try without touching voltage's. So far so good, It was partially my fault it got that hot. I slowly learned that furmark can cook your card after doing some research so I quickly uninstalled that crap.

I think your memory clock is a bit high, my HD 7770 is 100% stable with 1200 but no memory increase. Do you know your max temps? I mean, furmark can burn your card but that is just part of the test. My OC got me to 65C after 12 hours, perfectly fine. You might try OCCT though.
m
l
March 7, 2013 10:03:46 PM

I started seeing artifacting again this morning no benchmark tests at all just gaming. So I turned it back down to stock 1050/1500. The highest my temps got all last from playing Crysis3 at max for a while and SimsCity was 66c. Im gonna see if it does it at stock tomorrow morning. If it does that clearly means the card is defective right? If im at stock should I turn power control settings to 20?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2013 10:28:19 PM

NewbiePcgamer84 said:
I started seeing artifacting again this morning no benchmark tests at all just gaming. So I turned it back down to stock 1050/1500. The highest my temps got all last from playing Crysis3 at max for a while and SimsCity was 66c. Im gonna see if it does it at stock tomorrow morning.
Is that the max it's ever gotten?

If it does that clearly means the card is defective right? said:
If it does that clearly means the card is defective right?
No sadly, you might have over-overclocked and broken the card. Check and see if your warrenty cover all overclocks, if not you might be down a $600 card.

If im at stock should I turn power control settings to 20? said:
If im at stock should I turn power control settings to 20?

Just press default, reset etc and it'll be fine, you don't need 20% , though it can help performance.
m
l
March 7, 2013 10:55:04 PM

The max temp I have ever seen was 76c and that's after the Furmark test. Other than that 66c is the highest I've seen gaming. It idles around 33c. I got the card 4 days ago now I hope I didn't blow $500
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2013 10:58:35 PM

NewbiePcgamer84 said:
The max temp I have ever seen was 76c and that's after the Furmark test. Other than that 66c is the highest I've seen gaming. It idles around 33c. I got the card 4 days ago now I hope I didn't blow $500

76 is a bit high, but I think you might have hurt the core with that high of a clock. I hope it's ok. Mine is lower performance so it doesn't really compare but even in a 12 hour stress test I only got to 65c. I would go read your warrenty in full and see if it cover all overclocks. In fact I'll go see if mine does. If it does, GO OVERCLOCKING!!11! :lol: 

UPDATE: Well my card is not covered against that or acts of God...

This Limited Warranty will not apply if a claim is made arising from any unacceptable use or care of the Product, including (without limitation) physically damaged, graphics card is burnt out, misuse, abuse, negligence, [u said:
acts of God, unauthorized modification or repair, unauthorized commercial use and any operation of the Product outside HIS recommended parameters. This Limited Warranty is also invalid if any serial number or date stamp on the Product has been altered, obliterated or removed. Cosmetic damage and normal wear and tear are not covered. ]This Limited Warranty will not apply if a claim is made arising from any unacceptable use or care of the Product, including (without limitation) physically damaged, graphics card is burnt out, misuse, abuse, negligence, acts of God, unauthorized modification or repair, unauthorized commercial use and any operation of the Product outside HIS recommended parameters. This Limited Warranty is also invalid if any serial number or date stamp on the Product has been altered, obliterated or removed. Cosmetic damage and normal wear and tear are not covered.
[/u] :heink: 
m
l
!