Sign in with
Your question

Screen periodically tweaks out with the HD5770

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 23, 2010 2:10:39 PM

Ever since I upgraded my GPU from an Nvidia 9800gt to the Ati HD5770 my screen has been tweaking out like every 5 minutes.

The 5770's minimum power supply requirements is 450 watts, and I was originally using a 400 watt power supply.

I thought that was my problem so yesterday I bought an Antec 650 watt power supply and it still has this problem.

Basically my monitor will freeze (except for the mouse usually), then it will get these jaggy lines on some parts of the screen then shut off and turn back on a couple seconds later.

This happens like every 5 minutes. I am using the latest ATI drivers too.

I can play games ok, but videos sometimes cause this screen crashing too.

My PC:

Vista 64
XFX Radeon HD5770 with latest XFX drivers/Catalyst.
Core 2 Quad Q9300
6GB RAM
Gateway 19 inch widescreen LCD monitor. 1440X900. VGA cord with a DVI converter attachment on each end.

Nothing is overclocked.

Please help, this is getting really annoying. Thanks a lot.
March 23, 2010 2:17:25 PM

My 5770 doesn't work well with the latest drivers. I had to install lower version drivers (9.8) and it now works OK.

Did you use Drive Sweeper to uninstall the previous drivers or did you just upgrade?
m
l
March 23, 2010 3:09:06 PM

I just upgraded.

I think I will try Drive Sweeoer then load the 9.8 drivers. Thanks a lot!
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
March 25, 2010 4:37:56 PM

Same problems as frostedon. Plus i have to add that I use windows7, and when i try the Windows Experience Index my pc crashes.

Funny thing is taht before i install the vga driver, and run the test it finishes. after installing the driver my pc crashes.

Can you give me the link to the older drivers please ?
m
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
March 25, 2010 5:34:30 PM

Oh damn :( 

I uninstalled all the previous drivers, did Drive Sweeping from safe mode, then installed the 9.8 catalyst version which finished succesfully.

But the computer didn't offer me a reboot, so i did it mannually, and now the system doesn't recognize my VGA card.

How is that possible ?
m
l
April 4, 2010 5:05:03 PM

I don't know what is wrong with your PC. Sorry.

Even after installing the old drivers my screen still tweaks out, but not as often now.

Still, I wish ATI would fix this issue.
m
l
!