Need Help Building 8 monitor computer system

I have the specs below saved in newegg and tiger direct ready to buy..I want to know if this is overkill and maybe someone can help me build this system a little cheaper. I started building with $1500 in mind but now I am up to $2500...I do want something cheaper but want it to last more than 4 years and easily upgradable.. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I am building a computer for "Trading" that supports (8) 22"monitors...I usually am running these platforms with several charts.

1. Think or Swim
2. Open e Cry
3. OptionsHouse
4. FXCM

but I also watch television and movies..on my computer..I have no cable so my computer is also my entertainment..(Dont play many games though)

1. Bloomberg (online streaming)
2. CNBC (online streaming)

Here are my specs>>

EVGA 170-BL-E762-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 4-WAY SLI Classified XL ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit
EVGA 01G-P3-1158-TR GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler

any input will be greatly appreciated
16 answers Last reply
More about need building monitor computer system
  1. sam100 said:
    I have the specs below saved in newegg and tiger direct ready to buy..I want to know if this is overkill and maybe someone can help me build this system a little cheaper. I started building with $1500 in mind but now I am up to $2500...I do want something cheaper but want it to last more than 4 years and easily upgradable.. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

    I am building a computer for "Trading" that supports (8) 22"monitors...I usually am running these platforms with several charts.

    1. Think or Swim
    2. Open e Cry
    3. OptionsHouse
    4. FXCM

    but I also watch television and movies..on my computer..I have no cable so my computer is also my entertainment..(Dont play many games though)

    1. Bloomberg (online streaming)
    2. CNBC (online streaming)

    Here are my specs>>

    EVGA 170-BL-E762-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 4-WAY SLI Classified XL ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core
    CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit
    EVGA 01G-P3-1158-TR GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
    Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler

    any input will be greatly appreciated


    Maybe I didnt read this right, but are you trying to run 8 monitors from 1 Gfx card?
  2. You need enough graphics cards to support that amount of monitors.

    The motherboard you have chosen supports enough grapics cards. Drop the GTS250 which can drive only 2 monitors and costs quite a lot, and get 4 low power graphics cards such as the ATI HD 4350 or the nVidia 8400

    The rest of the system is also overkill for the usage it will get. A fast Dual core with 4GB of ram would easily suffice as long as it can take enough graphics card.

    NOTE: If you do play some games you could use a single powerful card and three low power ones (preferable all of the same brand)
  3. Also the case you have chosen might not fit this particular motherboard
  4. Quote:
    NOTE: If you do play some games you could use a single powerful card and three low power ones (preferable all of the same brand)

    Are you sure this is possible?
  5. Wolygon said:
    Quote:
    NOTE: If you do play some games you could use a single powerful card and three low power ones (preferable all of the same brand)

    Are you sure this is possible?


    His best bet I imagine would be to buy 2 5770s and Xfire them with those 3 mini adapters each to 6 monitors. 8 monitors seems overzealous
  6. Am pretty confident that this is possible because there will be no use of sli or crossfire technology invlolved. The game will only run on the monitors the powerfull cardcard is connected to
  7. I remember a friend talking about using two video cards one in the AGP and one in the PCI so he could use two monitors, very old computer as you can tell =P.

    Never thought about it, that's very cool. Does this mean that it is possible to have workstation graphics and gaming graphics in a computer at the same time, using each for their designed purposes. Surely the drivers would conflict, but I don't know.
  8. This is not workstation graphics. A 4350 and a 5770 (fpr example) use the same display driver. So am pretty confident that they can peacefully co-exist in the same system
  9. Well, if you want something now you can get two 5870 eyefinity 6 cards

    Powercolor version
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131353

    and run 4 monitors off of each, or 6 monitors off one and 2 off the other. Each card would have it's own display group and you would not crossfire them. It would make more sense for you to wait for the eyefinity 5 5770s though since they are cheaper and you could run 4 monitors on each one. Thus you would have two display groups of 4 monitors.
  10. Wouldnt it be more expensive anyway? IMO since no 3d power is required 4350's are more than enough
    The whole setup would cost less than $250 (graphics cards only) while the EyeFinity cards are more expensive. (5770 should retail around 200 each WHEN it comes out.)
  11. I should ad that you would need a pretty good PSU to run two 5870s even if you aren't gaming. Of course the requirements of two 5770s are much more modest.
  12. slo said:
    Wouldnt it be more expensive anyway? IMO since no 3d power is required 4350's are more than enough
    The whole setup would cost less than $250 (graphics cards only) while the EyeFinity cards are more expensive. (5770 should retail around 200 each WHEN it comes out.)


    Umm 5770s have been out for a few months dude, and are pretty easy to come by for 150.
  13. cmcghee358, if you had followed the thread more closely/carefully you'd notice that we are talking about the eyefinity version of the 5770 which is not (widely) available at the moment.

    Yes 2 5770 eyefinity will give you better performance in gaming and if you got money to blow, definately go for it. It will cost about 120-150 dollars more though, at least.
  14. sorry cmcghee I didnt explain...I was using (4) GTS 250 cards 1gb ddr3 so i can have enough power for two monitors and maybe upgrade (years) later.

    Do I need this much?

    I have been to most of the custom building sites (Falcon Trading, Trading Computers, Custom Trading Computers, Multi-Monitors and more) they all gear toward the i7 processor. (some do have the dual core for lower end but what motherboard would i use?)

    I know I want to use the
    i7 930 cpu

    (8) monitors

    Motherboard? needs to support 8 monitors does the board have to be 4 way?
    **maybe I can get a cheaper board and use the extra on 2 4 dvi graphic cards...i also want to use the x58 chipset

    Video card? My tech says I need 1gb to support 2 monitors
    Will
    (2) graphic cards 512mb (each) supporting 4 monitors be slower than
    (4) 1gb graphic cards supporting (2) monitors each?

    Slo..what is a good dual core motherboard?
    I was also thinking about 4 gigs with c6 latency

    HOW DOES THIS SET UP LOOK

    evga p55 classified 200 (anyone know if it can take 4 cards?) $350
    i7 860 $280
    (4) invidia 8400 $150
    corsair 4 gig c6 latency $275
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit $140
    Lian Li? have not decided (any suggestions?) $100
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 $100
    RPM SATA 3.0Gb
    Power? any suggestions?

    WILL THIS SUPPORT 8 MONITORS?

    or
    I have a chance to purchase the system below with (8) 22" monitors for $2000-$2300. which is better for the money..the specs above or this one below

    Eight (8) Dell S2209W monitors (21.5 inch full HD 1920 by 1080)
    Windows 7 Professional
    Adobe CS4 Master Collection
    ESET NOD32 Antivirus
    Antec 900 Black Steel ATX midtower computer case
    AMD PhenomII x4 945 Deneb 3.0Ghz SocketAM3 Quad-core Processor
    OCZ Obsidian 6gb (3x2GB) 240-pin DDRIII 1600 (PC3 12800)
    MSI 790FX-GD-70 AM3 AMD Motherboard
    3 Zotac ZT-95TEH3P-HSL GeForce 9500GT 512MB 128-BIT GDDR2 PCI Express x16
    1 ASUS EAH 3450 PCI express video card
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 rpm SATAII
    Samsung Black 22x DVD burner black SATA
    Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-S-B 850W power supply contiuous at 40degC, 80 PLUS Certified, ATX 12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready Crossfire
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 120mm rifle CPU cooler
    120mm cooling fan direct air on fanless video cards (designed and built with a total of six very quiet fans)
    Cyberpower 1350AVR battery back-up with digital display and computer control

    Thanks for all the input
  15. I'm also looking at buying a new trading computer.I looked at the tiger direct site and came up with a "barebones system" that they featured...it's called the i7 dream system....it has a great motherboard,great cooling,and you can add 3 dual dvi cards.I just have never built my own computer.Is is a good idea?...thanks
  16. sam100 said:
    sorry cmcghee I didnt explain...I was using (4) GTS 250 cards 1gb ddr3 so i can have enough power for two monitors and maybe upgrade (years) later.

    Do I need this much?

    I have been to most of the custom building sites (Falcon Trading, Trading Computers, Custom Trading Computers, Multi-Monitors and more) they all gear toward the i7 processor. (some do have the dual core for lower end but what motherboard would i use?)

    I know I want to use the
    i7 930 cpu

    (8) monitors

    Motherboard? needs to support 8 monitors does the board have to be 4 way?
    **maybe I can get a cheaper board and use the extra on 2 4 dvi graphic cards...i also want to use the x58 chipset

    Video card? My tech says I need 1gb to support 2 monitors
    Will
    (2) graphic cards 512mb (each) supporting 4 monitors be slower than
    (4) 1gb graphic cards supporting (2) monitors each?

    Slo..what is a good dual core motherboard?
    I was also thinking about 4 gigs with c6 latency

    HOW DOES THIS SET UP LOOK

    evga p55 classified 200 (anyone know if it can take 4 cards?) $350
    i7 860 $280
    (4) invidia 8400 $150
    corsair 4 gig c6 latency $275
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit $140
    Lian Li? have not decided (any suggestions?) $100
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 $100
    RPM SATA 3.0Gb
    Power? any suggestions?

    WILL THIS SUPPORT 8 MONITORS?

    or
    I have a chance to purchase the system below with (8) 22" monitors for $2000-$2300. which is better for the money..the specs above or this one below

    Eight (8) Dell S2209W monitors (21.5 inch full HD 1920 by 1080)
    Windows 7 Professional
    Adobe CS4 Master Collection
    ESET NOD32 Antivirus
    Antec 900 Black Steel ATX midtower computer case
    AMD PhenomII x4 945 Deneb 3.0Ghz SocketAM3 Quad-core Processor
    OCZ Obsidian 6gb (3x2GB) 240-pin DDRIII 1600 (PC3 12800)
    MSI 790FX-GD-70 AM3 AMD Motherboard
    3 Zotac ZT-95TEH3P-HSL GeForce 9500GT 512MB 128-BIT GDDR2 PCI Express x16
    1 ASUS EAH 3450 PCI express video card
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 rpm SATAII
    Samsung Black 22x DVD burner black SATA
    Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-S-B 850W power supply contiuous at 40degC, 80 PLUS Certified, ATX 12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready Crossfire
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 120mm rifle CPU cooler
    120mm cooling fan direct air on fanless video cards (designed and built with a total of six very quiet fans)
    Cyberpower 1350AVR battery back-up with digital display and computer control

    Thanks for all the input

    where can you get that deal?
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computer Systems Product