Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

I need some info on my build! What to get?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 14, 2010 8:28:23 AM

I have been looking around for a computer for graphic design and much more and I thought that a Mac would be the computer I would get if I wanted something good, but from what I have read pc is better. I have been in college and I am going to need some thing better than I got.
I have been planning a new build, but I planned on making it for video gaming but I need it for other reasons to.
What I need to do on it is graphic design, music recording, web design, video and photo editing, and etc.
I have had a couple of classes that I just used the school computers but I would get more done at home.

So I haven't really looked into what I should get for a "multi tasker" computer cause I just thought I would get a mac.
I just was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on what to do, or advice. I really want to know is what kind of parts I should be looking for?
So I plan on looking into so more later today, but I was justing hoping i could get some info and maybe get pointed in the right direction.
Thanks, I am hoping to be able to get the new CS5 when it comes out!

More about : info build

April 14, 2010 8:32:24 AM

Salt-City_Slasher said:
I have been looking around for a computer for graphic design and much more and I thought that a Mac would be the computer I would get if I wanted something good, but from what I have read pc is better. I have been in college and I am going to need some thing better than I got.
I have been planning a new build, but I planned on making it for video gaming but I need it for other reasons to.
What I need to do on it is graphic design, music recording, web design, video and photo editing, and etc.
I have had a couple of classes that I just used the school computers but I would get more done at home.

So I haven't really looked into what I should get for a "multi tasker" computer cause I just thought I would get a mac.
I just was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on what to do, or advice. I really want to know is what kind of parts I should be looking for?
So I plan on looking into so more later today, but I was justing hoping i could get some info and maybe get pointed in the right direction.

Reference the thread titled "How to ask for new build advice"

I have nothing better to do tonight at work than to help you out. Go head and follow that template and I'll put together a build on your budget that will be a good starting point to tweak.
m
l
April 14, 2010 8:36:10 AM

A budget please? We can't recommend you components without knowing how much money you're willing to spend.
m
l
Related resources
April 14, 2010 8:48:43 AM

well it can be anywhere from 1000-2000, and I am not sure exactly what I should be getting. So assume that this would be enough for something
decent but like I said I haven't looked into anything for everything besides gaming. It was mainly a gaming pc project but it was suppose to be for school, so I just want something that can do everything! The 2000 is the most I plan on having but then if I do have extra cash at the time, then I could always choose better parts, and I really don't have a deadline but really need it before the new school year in fall.
m
l
April 14, 2010 8:53:37 AM

Salt-City_Slasher said:

If you could, please follow the template in this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...
m
l
April 14, 2010 8:54:54 AM

Check the stickies on this section "Recommended Builds by Usage".
m
l
April 14, 2010 9:17:18 AM

Instead of insisting on that template, help him.. We have a budget and a usage, so let's get to work ;) 

So basically video editing and gaming will be the main uses?

That would mean you need a good graphics card and CPU.

My suggestion:

- intel i7-860 CPU (or i5-750, which is as good for gaming but less powerful in editing if you want so save money)

- ATI 5850 GPU (5770 if you have to save money)

- A good P55 mobo (Asus P7P55D-E or Gigabyte P55A-UD3 if you don't crossfire, P55A-UD4 if you want to)

- A case you like (my suggestion: Antec 300 if you're on a budget, Cooler Master HAF 922 if you want good quality)

- 4GB of DDR3 RAM (1333MHz will do)

- DVD burner

- 600W PSU (of a good brand, it's important. Antec or Corsair are my favourites, OCZ will do too)

- If overclocking: a CPU cooler (I like the Scythe Mugen 2)

On the top of my head, that would come to about $1000, maybe a bit more or less depending on where you buy it. More expensive, but somewhat more powerful, is the intel X58 platform. In that case, keep the above but get:

- intel i7-930 CPU

- Good X58 motherboard (for example: Gigabyte X58A-UD3)

Add about $250 for that. In gaming you won't see any benefit. At stock speeds you won't see any in editing either. But if you are going to overclock, it really pulls ahead of the P55 platform.
m
l
April 14, 2010 12:47:35 PM

Honestly for two grand I recommend something like above but prehaps a 930, 6 gigs ddr3 1600, a 5970, an 850w psu, a cooler master hyper 212 plus and a few other goodies.

That sort of computer will EASILY last you 5 years without any major upgrades. As for the video card staying on top that long, I doubt it but you can easily get another 5970 2 years later when they are $100-200 (or some other ridiculously low price).
m
l
April 14, 2010 1:50:36 PM

I guess I had things different in my head I thought I would need a WS card and other things. But I guess regular stuff works.
But I did write this thread to talk about the build, not to be told, if you know what I mean. I appreciate it, and I guess the template works
if its for newbies who have no idea what they are doing. I just wanted some info and some pointers.

I figured that the intel i7's is what would be recommended cause of the multi thread, so 920/930 are pretty much the same price so that isn't a big deal.
I was thinking about the new AMD thubans but I will probably end up with the 920.
So i have been scouting pieces out and I pretty much already had what u said:
CM 692 advanced
Hyper 212+
HX850
Windows 7 64bit
Dominator(which one depends on which chip)

Is gigabyte the only company that plans on releasing the sata 3 and usb 3? Cause a Six core BE that has the 890FX w/ sata 3 and usb 3 sound a little better to me. Unless like you said if I go with gigabyte X58 then it would be just as good.
What I had planned before was a 965be and 790fx-gd70 but I figured I would wait and get the 1090t Be and the 890FX-GD70. But if you think that the
i7 920 with a Gigabyte board is better, they will probably be roughly the same price.

Then for graphics I thought I would need a WS card and that isn't the case, but I already picked out the ASUS 5850 Directcu or Ref.

Lastly the HD or SSD, I figured I would get a HD for starters then buy a SSD with in a month or so. But then brand will all decide on which brand of mobo I get to make sure there aren't any problems with anything. I will end up with both hd and ssd, and have a lot of storage for all my projects.

So thats kinda of where I was at with my build, with only thinking of gaming in mind. I have a cart with a few goodies like fan controllers and fans but it lies in between 1000-1500. But thats with the 965 and MSI board, so it would be more for either the new thuban or intel 920.
I did check and I can get the master collection of cs5 for 899$ instead of 2500$, I am glad they hook up students!!!!
m
l
April 14, 2010 1:56:45 PM

Well, Thuban looks like an extremely potent choice too. I'd recommend it too, but given so many people absolutely must have intel, I don't even dare mention it any more lately.

- 850W is over the top. 750 is already way more than enough
- Don't buy Dominator. OCZ, G.Skill, Kingston and many others have equal memory at a lower price

From what some early data say, Thuban and the intel X58 chips perform about equally. Wait about two weeks if you can, a full picture will emerge about Thuban's performance then.

A WS card certainly wouldn't hurt. Depends on what programs you use though, most modern ones run smoothly on standard modern cards and they'll be cheaper and better for gaming.
m
l
April 14, 2010 2:28:05 PM

Yeah I am not in any big rush, I plan on sitting on it for another month or two, that way I can see how things pan out.
I honestly think that a thuban esp. the 1090t BE w/ 890FX board would be more than plenty for me.
6 cores with fast sata will come in handy.
I did like the g.skill's they were a little bit cheap if I got one from the ripjaw series, so that can be changed real easy, i just got to make sure the board I get is on the list.

With the 850, it had such great reviews and I know it would be more than I would need, I just figured I would probably end up with 2-3 5850's with in a year or two, not to mention all the other gadgets I will have hooked up to it.
I just thought I would stay on the safe side and get a little more wattage, its not like I would ever get the 1000, only if I got one of those new coffee warmers, whats there name oh yeah, the 470/480.
m
l
April 14, 2010 5:13:15 PM

You missed the memo. The 480 is NOT intended for heating coffee. Instead, is made to make it evaporate instantaneously and then blowing the vapour away immediately using its high rotation fan...

But all kidding aside, even for crossfired 5850's 750W is more than enough, but go ahead if you want. It won't matter in the end anyway.

Waiting 2 months seems somewhat pointless. In a week or two Thuban is out and that's the only potentially useful novelty for months to come, waiting much longer will just make you crave more...

Oh and PS: many 790 motherboards have SATA 3 too by using a manufacturer added controller rather than a native one. All Gigabyte mobo's with an 'A' in the name have USB3 and SATA3 for example. And don't be too obsessed about it, as even the most high end SSD's show mild benefit from having it.
m
l
April 14, 2010 7:30:11 PM

Silmarunya said:
Waiting 2 months seems somewhat pointless. In a week or two Thuban is out and that's the only potentially useful novelty for months to come, waiting much longer will just make you crave more...

Potentially, new SSD releases and additional 58nn series offerings now that the chips are in greater supply. And/or saving up the money required to actually purchase the computer?
m
l
April 14, 2010 7:59:35 PM

I have been taking everything in consideration and we just started Q2, and there could several possibilitys and price drops coming up. I don't know for sure so waiting can only be a good thing, the worst that happens is I buy my parts a couple of months late and in the end they will be out of date a couple of months early. Like the other guy said saving up for the cash for the whole computer is wise!
Toms actually just did an article on SSD's and I want the best of both worlds, and I don't even think I have seen a SSD or Optical drive that uses
sata 3. I can always get the HX750, the only problem with it is that it doesn't have all the same hook ups as the 850 does, thats why everyone
buys them instead, cause there not the same thing, there built differently.
m
l
April 15, 2010 12:47:28 AM

Yeah SSD's are starting to lower, but I don't think that the price for the sata 3 is worth it, unless you have serious cash.
I was thinking more of 150-200 for one, even though I would prefer the sata 3, its just way to high for me personally.

I am sure more and more will come out, we will probably see more after the release of the 890FX's but for now I will settle with sata 2 for sdds.
The HDD's with sata 3 are another story I found a decent one for just under 100, so that won't be a problem.

Well I am getting closer, but I still got to wait till the end of the month to see what happens. Toms just did the best chips of April, I thought it
was going to have the thubans but it didn't. They are definetly are made to fill the gap at the top of the hierarchy list. With the 920/930+ all beat
the 965/955 easily, just not in price.
I am assuming the rumored or leaked prices will be roughly what is going around with the 1090t being 300 and the 1050t 250+, and so on.
I haven't check but is the the 1090 the only one that is going to have unlocked cores??
m
l