Motherboard for i5-750. Single GPU

rza

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
I am looking for a MOBO for an i5-750 build that will only have 1 GPU. I also have a few questions along the way.

Sorry for starting yet another thread about MOBO selection for i5, but there are no two threads that agree on the same board.

As mentioned, I do not wish to SLi/CF but I do intend to over clock a bit. My main goal is to get my i5 build closer to the $1000 mark.

Right now I have in my possession everything except: GPU / MOBO / RAM
I will most likely be getting an ATi 5850 GPU. Suggestions are welcomed though.

I've been looking at ASUS and Gigabyte and keep coming back to the Gigabyte GA-p55a-udp4, seems to be the fan favorite. But I don't want to spend $185+ for SLi/CF if I'm not going to use it.

I'm not too sure on USB3 and SATA 6 - I heard with the P55 chip set that it would limit the PCI bandwidth, but I like the idea of having those as an open option; then again if there is only 1 GPU would the PCI be affected when USB/SATA are used?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Solution
Well, technically they support two, but a x4 slot offers terrible performance.

How badly do you limit yourself? Not badly at all. At any given moment, there will be single graphics card that offer near-top performance (think ATI 5870 or the *horrible* 480). As such, you'll always be able to get near-maximum graphics power in a single card.

So while upgrading clearly is certainly possible, it's more expensive than with a dual slot motherboard. Rather than adding a second card, which is cheap by the time you need it, you have to replace your current card with a new high-end one, costing a lot of money.

So for short: you hardly impair your graphics potential at all, but you significantly increase the cost of upgrading. It's you who...

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
going with the trend i have seen both of these boards alot of times are here, and feel that they are both feature rich, and value oriented either of them will serve you extremely well, you could almost choose between the two based on how you like the look of the board

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Well, technically they support two, but a x4 slot offers terrible performance.

How badly do you limit yourself? Not badly at all. At any given moment, there will be single graphics card that offer near-top performance (think ATI 5870 or the *horrible* 480). As such, you'll always be able to get near-maximum graphics power in a single card.

So while upgrading clearly is certainly possible, it's more expensive than with a dual slot motherboard. Rather than adding a second card, which is cheap by the time you need it, you have to replace your current card with a new high-end one, costing a lot of money.

So for short: you hardly impair your graphics potential at all, but you significantly increase the cost of upgrading. It's you who should decide what will save you most in the long run: a cheaper mobo or cheaper GPU upgrades.

Solution

rza

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
That is pretty much how I saw it.

That seems to be the name of the game when it comes to building a computer, either pay more now or pay even more later.

Another question a little off topic:
But why would someone get a 1156 socket and CF/SLi when all the MOBO's only offer CF/SLi in a 8x/8x setup. Wouldn't that limit both GPU's to their full potential?
Wouldn't a single GPU on a 1156 socket, as long as it's top end, be better?

^ No not much the performance hit would be around 3-5% roughly and only in some cases more...
Only cards such as the GTX 295/ HD 5970, that have 2 graphic chips on a single card would face bottleneck because that time, 2 chips would have to share x8 bandwidth...
As for going Crossfire/ SLI, it depends on the requirements...

zalittle

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
I find it interesting so many people recommend the Gigabyte GA-p55a-udp4. I have an I5 750 system but I chose after careful debate the MSI P55-GD85 for a few good reasons. SATA III support, USB 3.0 , 16x16 PCI-X true. Excellent overclocking capabilities. Granted we all have opinions, but the constant recommendation of Asus and Gigabyte although excellent motherboards, seem to be focused on too much. Asus is has horrible support, and Gigabyte has not solved the 16x, 8x problem in their mb's. Unless one has been released that solves that problem.
Granted MSI is not the most recommended motherboard brand. I believe in my humble opinion it is a noteworthy and under rated motherboard brand. I have had excellent results over the years with MSI. Just because name brands and over recommended brands sway our interest, we must be willing to accept the notion that other products, by other venders, may actually be a better pick.