Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Build advice for video editing/manipulation

Last response: in Systems
April 14, 2010 2:59:05 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE and Pricerange: Within the week $600~800

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Not really a gamer, my primary need is to edit video of my 6 month old son. I want this system to encode video as fast as possible after adding multiple layers with adobe cs4 suite. I plan to use win 7 ultimate 64-bit.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, and case (will hold atx and matx)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Wherever I can get a deal/free shipping

PARTS PREFERENCES: What is reliable?

OVERCLOCKING: Yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Is it more important to have a faster CPU or GPU to help with video encoding? I do plan to overclock the cpu, mildly. I also plan on purchasing two 500 gb sata drives at 7200 rpm. One for the OS and one for scrath disk. Anyone advice from anyone that has any knowledge in this area, would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at purchasing the i5 750 and a mobo , along with a radeon 5770mostly because of a recommendation.

I am open to any suggestions... thank you
April 14, 2010 3:20:13 PM

CPU/Mobo: i7-860 and Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 $397. I would have really liked to get a real i7, but it's just not possible. This would be faster than the i5 at encoding. Also, this board is a lot more future proof.
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $120
GPU: HD 4670 $60 after rebate. The 5770 is complete overkill if you're not a gamer.
HDD/PSU: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB and OCZ StealthXStream 700W $95 after rebate
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB $55
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $22
HSF (if OC): Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus $35 (with free card reader)

Total: $784
April 14, 2010 3:34:42 PM

Thanks for your reply. So by judging your recommendations, it is more important to have the faster CPU rather than the GPU? I just read this on the specs of the 5770 and figured it would help with encoding video:

* OpenCL support14
* DirectCompute 11
* Accelerated video encoding, transcoding, and upscaling4,5
o Native support for common video encoding instructions

Related resources
April 14, 2010 3:36:18 PM

The CPU is more important.

Put it this way, a i7-860 cuts a little under one minute off editing in CS4 and about 20 seconds off processing in CS4. CS4 isn't even listed in the video card benchmarks in the chart section.
April 14, 2010 5:29:23 PM

"CS4 isn't even listed in the video card benchmarks in the chart section." Are you talking about passmark?

"Put it this way, a i7-860 cuts a little under one minute off editing in CS4 and about 20 seconds off processing in CS4" What are you using as a benchmark for this. For example, a two minute video clip at xx MB in size...?
April 14, 2010 5:33:36 PM

I'm using the testing that Tom's uses. The benchmarks are in the charts section. You can navigate there using the tabs at the top of the page. They don't have the i7-860, but I'm using the i7-870, which is just an 860 that's overclocked.

The GPU benchmarks I've found typically only use games and 3DMark Vantage. That would indicate that the GPU has little effect on video editing/encoding.

EDIT: The benchmarks used are for applying 6 filters to a 69 MB TIF image and 1440x1080 video editing. File size doesn't really matter, as it's keep stable. So instead of saying it cuts 1 min off video editing, I should have said performance improves by 45% (roughly). Applying filters improved about 10%. Of course, the gains are going to go up the higher you overclock...
April 14, 2010 5:47:53 PM

You can encode on your GPU (Nvidia CUDA or ATI Stream) faster (if it's a good card) but the results are better if you use the CPU.

An expensive CPU will be like 20% faster, not really a big deal so you can get a cheaper quad and do your thing. You can use a mainstream GPU, maybe with the latest OpenGL (ATI 5XXX). The RAM is important not for encoding but for editing.
April 14, 2010 7:10:35 PM

Madadmiral, i know you prefer the Intel chip...what are your thoughts about AMD's quad processors? As you can tell i'm kindof on a budget. '

Mosox, what do you think about AMD?

Best solution

April 14, 2010 7:18:16 PM

MadAdmiral chose the Intel i7-860 because it has hyperthreading which should improve your encoding times. While it's not quite the same as having 8 cores, the logical cores do help out. Additionally, the i7-860 has an automatic turbo/overclock feature that will increase the speed of cores that are being used if you're running something that isn't using all of the cores. Intel chips are typically recommended for pure edit/encoding builds because of hyperthreading.

An AMD build would also work fine, it just wouldn't have the additional benefit of hyperthreading. AMD builds are usually preferred on lower budgets, but if MadAdmiral's build doesn't break yoiur budget, I'd say it's a really good deal.
April 14, 2010 8:03:44 PM

Best answer selected by bseitzer20.
!