Sign in with
Your question

Does a pentium 4 run hotter than an intel core 2 duo?

Last response: in CPUs
June 22, 2010 7:12:36 PM

Hello, I found a cooler master fan in another pc in my house we arent using and I was wondering if It would be an upgrade from my Intel Core 2 duo e6700 2.66ghz stock cooling. It is aftermarket on the computer and its cooling a 3.0ghz pentium 4 and I want to put it on the dual core I was talking about and I was wondering if It would be better than the stock cooling. This is the fan=== http://store.cwc-group.com/comaxiforinp.html It says it will keep a 3.8ghz P4 prescott cool.
June 22, 2010 7:53:32 PM

Okay. Would my fan make like any difference in the cooling though? like even 3-5 degrees C? The fan you showed me is to tall for my ATX Mid Tower Pc case and the pins apparently fall off alot and I have an ati radeon 4890 1gb so I dont want them to fall on it and short something out.
m
l
Related resources
a c 131 à CPUs
June 22, 2010 11:22:50 PM

The P4 prescott will run hotter for sure. The earlier P4s that max out at like 2GHz I am not sure about. I think they are about the same.
m
l
June 23, 2010 12:29:14 AM

The Pentium 4 has been long discontinued.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2010 1:14:06 AM

smeelo said:
Hello, I found a cooler master fan in another pc in my house we arent using and I was wondering if It would be an upgrade from my Intel Core 2 duo e6700 2.66ghz stock cooling. It is aftermarket on the computer and its cooling a 3.0ghz pentium 4 and I want to put it on the dual core I was talking about and I was wondering if It would be better than the stock cooling. This is the fan=== http://store.cwc-group.com/comaxiforinp.html It says it will keep a 3.8ghz P4 prescott cool.

Intel stock cooling sucks pretty badly. So yes, any aftermarket cooler would be an improvement.

I have experience with the P4 3.8 which was a Prescott 90nm as I recall. It ran pretty hot. It spent a fair amount of time over 50c and that was stock. So yes, it runs hotter than the e6700 does stock.
m
l
June 23, 2010 1:22:55 AM

FALC0N said:
Intel stock cooling sucks pretty badly. So yes, any aftermarket cooler would be an improvement.

I have experience with the P4 3.8 which was a Prescott 90nm as I recall. It ran pretty hot. It spent a fair amount of time over 50c and that was stock. So yes, it runs hotter than the e6700 does stock.

I built a P4 rig way back in 2003, I don't know what temps it ran at, but I would imagine very hot because I could hear the cooling fan screaming from several rooms away.

Processors have come a very long way in terms of cooling and heat output since the old single core P4 days.

My old Radeon 9800 XT AGP card also ran blisteringly hot. Although my case had poor airflow.

That computer broke down, had to be disassembled and I sold whatever parts on it which still worked.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2010 1:34:11 AM

Pound for pound, the Netburst architecture ran hotter than almost anything except MAYBE Phenom 1. But not always. Many ran just fine at stock. I have one that runs at 30c to 50c with no special cooling.
m
l
June 23, 2010 1:43:34 AM

My Core 2 Quad 9400 @ stock 2.66 GHz runs about 30/45 *C idle/load using it's stock cooler.
m
l
June 23, 2010 1:49:09 AM

Intel stock coolers are adequate for stock speeds. They are in no way designed for overclocking.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2010 1:54:48 AM

MRFS said:

The stock Intel heatsink and fan are both more than adequate;
it's the stupid push-pins that are defective.

True, but the retention mechanism is part of the heatsink.
m
l
!