G

Hi all,

I have a question about power supplies. I have a Cooler Master Real Power M620 (6 months old) and a new Corsair HX850. The M620 was making a strange soft ticking sound (short little buzzes in the rythym of a HDD sound). So i took the power supply out of the case to isolate the sound and it could clearly hear it coming out of the PSU. At first I thought the PSU is faulty, but the Corsair HX850 is making the exact same sound. I'm aware of the phenomena Coil Whine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up_axOyd1Z8&feature=related

The sound coming from my PSU's is nothing like that. If it would be to describe in words the sound would be something like:

tzzt,......, tzt,..tzzt,tz, tzzzzt,...tzz,...
(very soft short ticking buzzes)

The sound itself is not really annoying although I can hear it quite clearly especially now I know it is there.

What could this be and can it do harm?

My system:
Cooler Master Realpower M620/
Corsair HX850
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1333
Sapphire ATI Radeon 4890 1GB GDDR5
Samsung F3 500GB
Samsung F3 1TB

Soon to add another 4890 for crossfire (M620 couldnt handle it, so thats why i bought that Corsair).

Kind regards,

Mike

G

I tried:
Removing Cables close to motherboard coils
Turning off fans close the power cables
Turned off Smooth Scrolling in IE
Turned off WIFI entirely
HDD disconnected, ran live cd
Disconnected all USB connections

The sound is still there when the computer has shut down, ive just noticed.

G

SOLVED.

I tried everything and nothing would work untill my girlfriend shut down her laptop that is connected to the same power group. The sound in my psu dissapeared completely. Didn't think it could such a silly simple thing.

TRENDING THREADS