Sign in with
Your question

Hd 5970 causing Hard reboot?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 23, 2010 5:40:27 PM

Hello all, I was wondering if anybody can help me out with a problem. I have searched and searched and found that this would be a good place to ask for help.

After playing Arma 2 (max settings) for about 5-10mins. I get horizontal lines flickering, and a complete shutdown. I mean the whole thing just turns OFF. After a couple of seconds it tries to reboot except it either shuts off again, or it reboots with no input to the monitor. Which points directly to the video card doing something strange

It's a brand new build, so I haven't had a chance to test it with other games.

My build:
Intel i7-950 Core 3.06Ghz
Intel DX58SO Extreme Series Mobo
6GB OCZ Tri-Channel DDR3 Memory
80GB Intel X25 Internal SSD
1TB 7200 Barracuda HDD
Kingwin LZ850 850watt
Creative Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCIe
PowerColor HD 5970 PCIe x16 (running current driver Catalyst 10.2)

Reviewers said this card would work efficiently with a 650w PSU

The case is medium sized, but it has 3 fans connected to the PSU so they're running full speed all the time. Even with the case open the same thing happens.

What are some hardware reasons that would shut off computer as it it were a power outtage?

I appreciate the help
a b U Graphics card
March 23, 2010 6:15:44 PM

850W is more than enough. I am using a Corsair 850W PSU and do heavy overclocking without problems. I am using a similar setup

Does it happen it other games? Does the drivers crash because mine do all the time until I got it straight

I find that my card goes idle and the idle speeds are too low which creates atrifacts. I think sometimes it fails to get out of idle even when in games.
This is how to manually change speeds when load/idle.

1. Open CCC

2. Unlock and Enable Overdrive if they aren’t already.

3. Go to Options/Profiles/Profiles Manager. Create a new profile. Under composition make sure “ATI Overdrive” is checked. Save and Close, DO NOT ACTIVATE.

4. In windows go to: C:\Users\{yourusername}\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles (you will need to have “show hidden files” turned on for this)

5. Open the xml document with the name of the profile you just created (notepad is fine)

6. Change the values of the Clock and Memory speeds to look like this (these specific values are what worked for me and my card, use judgment) EDIT ONLY THE BOLD VALUES.

Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0"

Property name="Want_0" value="40000"

Property name="Want_1" value="60000"

Property name="Want_2" value="85000"

Feature

Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0"

Property name="Want_0" value="90000"

Property name="Want_1" value="90000"

Property name="Want_2" value="120000"

7. Save and close. Go back to CCC and activate the profile you just created.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 23, 2010 6:49:18 PM

I doubt the power is bad. I have a Corsair HX850 and it has been working rock solid.

I can't imagine how the power can be bad when overclocking fixes the problem.

But the card might need an RMA. It is working fine when overclocked so I am happy.
m
l
Related resources
March 25, 2010 3:06:31 PM

rofl_my_waffle said:
I doubt the power is bad. I have a Corsair HX850 and it has been working rock solid.

I can't imagine how the power can be bad when overclocking fixes the problem.

But the card might need an RMA. It is working fine when overclocked so I am happy.

I have the same symptom with my ASUS 5970. Its a new build and had no issues for 2 weeks. Then, after the computer had been up for a number of hours, I was playing Fallout 3 and I get the horizontal lines and then a reboot. This continued whenever a graphics load was put on the system, Stalker took about a minute. Ran Prime 95 for an hour with no errors.

CPU (i7 860) temps under load low to mid 50c, Ambient 25c. GPU runs about 73c running Fallout 3 and 83c in Stalker. Voltages look good, PSU is Sliverstone DA-1000 (1KW), 8 Gig Corsair RAM. OS is Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Interesting thing is the next day I ran another GPU stress test, played Fallout and Stalker for a while and only had one reboot early on, but ran for some time after that without an issue.

I'm thinking that the 5970 has an intermittent thermal issue, needs to cook for a while before it starts to fail. Still going to RMA because it will only get worse.
m
l
March 25, 2010 4:00:34 PM

Try downloading MSI afterburner and giving your card some more voltage.

Worked out with my XFX 5970 BE. No freezing at all.
m
l
!