Help me 1st time oc FX8320

jts23

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Hello,

I've just got the FX8320 and want to overclock it to at least 4.0 Ghz. I know nothing of oc'ing cpu's so would anyone be willing to help me in reaching my 4.0ghz goal. Also, if you suggest going higher in the future, some help for that would be very helpful.

My motherboard is a MSI 990xa-GD55 if that helps also im running a Cooler master 412s heatsink.

All help is highly appreciated.

Flakkattack

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Hey guy,
Im more of an Intel guy myself, especially if you are comparing an 8 or 6 core to a quad for gaming. But I think that I can help.
As for your clock, It doesn't sound bad, but I definitely think that you can push it a little bit more if you desired.
1) Are you running stress tests such as OCCT or Prime95?
2) If you are, how long and what settings are you using for the tests?
3) What is your PSU wattage?
4) Have you messed with any voltage settings with your overclock?
5) Are you using software or your bios for overclocking?
6) What temperatures are you getting when running the stress tests?

I am almost positive that you can push that puppy a hell of a lot more. My buddy has the same one and hes running his at 4.6GHz with a Corsair H100 water cooler, and he doesn't even hit 60c while operating at max load. But since you are new to overclocking, my best advice to you is to take it slow. Here is how I get my clocks.
1) Set the multiplier to a good but modest overclock
2) If you feel comfortable with messing with the voltages, change the voltages either up or down depending on your clock by .005 at a time (or whatever values that you have to change, only do it one step up or down at a time)
3) Save to bios and restart
4) Test with both CPU OCCT/CPU Linpack & Prime95 (everybody has different opinions on how long to run these tests. Personally I run CPU OCCT for 2hrs, CPU Linpack for 3hrs, and the last test Prime95 (blend) for 10 hours).
Rinse and repeat until you get the clock that you want to reach.
Its all about testing. If you bsod during these tests, then you know that you are either pushing the clock too high, your voltages are too low, or you may be overheating your cpu. Check with the manufacturer or forums to see what your max temp is on that chip. Use something like RealTemp and Cpu-z for monitoring the temps/voltage frequencies.

If you have any other questions I dont mind helping.

Flakkattack

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Also, google around and see if you can find a good overclocking guide for your chip AND motherboard. All motherboards (mostly) will have a different interface and way to go about overclocking, so make sure the guide you are reading pertains to yours so you dont get confused! Last thing you want is to burn up one of these expensive little things.
Make sure you are using a good thermal paste and have a good seat with your heatsink. Overheating is no bueno my friend.

jts23

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Okay thanks alot im going to attempt the multiplier overclock first and try and see how far stock voltage will get me.

As to your questions im running a gs corsair 700 w psu
Going to be using the bios for oc
Ive tried oc genie 2 on the bios but it on stock goes only to 3.76ghz

I cant seem to get a real temperate as I've read somewhere due to the fx series being unlocked the temps dont read correctly?

Flakkattack

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
yeah thats pretty much how i overclock, but i adjust the voltage to reduce temperatures and power consumption. bios overclocking is your best bet. I have never heard about the temps not being accurate on that chip. Try realtemp and see what you are running. If you are unsure, OCCT also monitors the temperatures, and at the end of the test gives you a whole bunch of graphs that are extremely useful if you figure out how to read them (its pretty self explanatory though). Try OCCT out, people swear by prime95, so I just run both as I mentioned and it has worked out great for me. The cpu temps you get should be read by your motherboard, unless its an amd thing, I dont see why they wouldnt be accurate. Or at least give you a temp that might be 1c or 2c off. But sometimes that can mean a lot.

jts23

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Thanks alot, I just changed the cpu ratio multiplier up to 20 with the fsb being at 200 so I have the 4Ghz i'll do the OCCT test.

From what i understand I dont think i'll need to change the voltage atm due to small oc.

Flakkattack

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah you should be good on the voltage. The only time that you would need to change it is if you are overheating or getting a temperature that you dont like, or if you are trying to conserve power. May not seem like it, but an overclocked rig can shoot your electric bill up. Make sure too that you are testing the overclock for an extended amount of time, I dont care what anyone says, a 10 minute test is definitely not enough time to deem your clock as "stable". Let me know if you have any more questions.