What first to upgrade?

kitteh_

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I have recently decided that I needed to upgrade some of my guts [my computer guts] as my PC is relatively old now and I would rather upgrade than buy a completely new one [for cost reasons amongst others].
What would you recomend using these CPU-Z stats and I will tell you as much more as needed.
It is an XP.
Thanks for any help!

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1257056

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
1st thing you need is memory. 512M is nothing. Get at least 2G. If you are going to stick with this M/B for a while go for 4.

kitteh_

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

I know it's bad but it's all really good for me over the years ;]

I have no idea really how much to spend, not excessively, I'll have to check 'coz it's not my budget - home.
I'll get back to you later,
Thanks

kitteh_

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

OK thanks, I was also hoping for a new Graphics Card too, crashes on anything heavy duty nowa'

Thanks

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
You could of course go for the vid next. I've seen 9800GT's in the sub$100 range. Just the memory and the video will feel like a major upgrade for a while. But yes, if you start pushing $400 too hard you could redo the entire rig.

weehamish

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Yeah its dead now, i dnt think it was ment to last this long haha, certainly not for gaming, ive seen laptops with better gear then that.

Just buy a new budget PC for like $500 from a gaming website it should be alot better then that.

1st, what do you want to do with this thing? What programs do you want to run and do you want to game?

You have 2 slots for DDR2. Check your motherboard makers page to see if it can take 4GB (2x2GB). If not, then just get a 2GB RAM kit (2x1GB) and that will be a big improvement right there.

Look into the CPU support for the motherboard. The 945 chipsets were paired with the first Core 2 Duos I believe. If your motherboard can accept the 45nm chips, that would be great. If it can support the older 65nm Core 2 Duos that would still be good and you could probably find an E6700 or even a quad core chip in an odd online shop or eBay. If the board is limited to P4s, even the Dual Core ones, then you're better off just overclocking your current CPU for now rather than trying to upgrade it.

As for the Graphics card, that just depends on what you want to do with this machine and your budget.

kitteh_

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

i'm sorrii, but where do I find my Motherboard manufacturer? Is it labelled, I haven't looked to closely at it and can't find much of my paper-work.
Thanks

From the first link you've provided, your motherboard is based on the intel 945 chipset and the southbridge is ICH7R..It looks like a socket 478.. This alone pretty much restricts your options for CPU replacement.. You definitely require a full upgrade..

New motherboard and CPU definitely.. RAM recommended coz 512 MB is very less.. Getting a new setup would possibly require you to get a new PSU also.. SO its pretty much a complete (everything) upgrade.. If you have access to newegg, there are many combo deals which are light on the wallet..

kitteh_

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

Are most CPUs embedded in the motherboard?
Could you recomend a good motherboard / processor? Preferably not the new 'i' family for costs.
If I bought a new one would it most likely support my current graphics, RAM, etc.? Because I can only really do things in steps although I can store them / save of course! :]
-and does newegg have to be in the U.S.? Because it's only giving me 'states'. I live in the U.K..
Thanks, you've been good help :]

CPU's mostly come as separate entity except in few cases where its embedded into the motherboard.. You don't need to take the 'i' series considering an upgrade.. If and when you buy a new setup, you might be able to keep your RAM although am doubtful about the graphics card.. The reason being that newer motherboards have pci express slot whereas your card has AGP connectivity i think.. Now if you could really tell us as to how much of a budget you can afford at the maximum, we can give you realistic suggestions..

kitteh_

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

Yes, I've been through the AGP / PCI-e stuff.
Really it's £150 here & there [$100] unforunately, although I might see about it.
Possibly even upto £600 altogether. I will hopefully keep my RAM and upgrade later, assuming the ports haven't changed?

weehamish

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Lol yeah you will need new ram you cant keep a 512 stick, you'll be to get 2x2gb sticks for under £100 so it's not that expensive, for £600 you will get a half decent pc but like people say buy in bulk to save cash.

I advise you to buy from overclockers.co.uk an already built pc so you dnt break it settin it up ;) good luck, check it out then link which one you like and we will see if it's worth it

kitteh_

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

I was really looking to rebuild as it would be a nice project [not that I'm not busy]; thanks for your help though!
Where would I be able to get RAM at that price - I haven't looked into RAM much before, and does more RAM take more power?

kdouglas1987

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

Hi kitteh, i have nowhere close to the knowledge that many of these guys have but im pretty sure more ram = more power. And to further your queries about ram, i bought (only 2 weeks ago) 2GB OCZ DDR2 PC-6400 800MHz Platinum R2 memory from ebay for £23 brand new. Im pretty sure i got a bargain but im no expert. I am in the same boat as you, wanting to upgrade step by step. I had an old 754 motherboard so i went and bought an ECS 6100PM-M2 board for only 30 quid, with onboard graphics, i put this with the ram i bought a few weeks ago and purchased a cheap athlon 3500+ processor for 15 quid. but in buying that particular board i now have ample option to upgrade cpu to upto phenom quad core. and the onboard graphics meant i could use the machine now and buy a dedicated video card in the future since i dont do much gaming. the total was around 75-80 quid with loads of upgrade options which i shall be buying in the comming weeks. hope this helps at all.

kitteh_

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

Thanks!
This is useful although I am a middling gamer, does the onboard graphics motherboard also have ports for other graphics cards?

kdouglas1987

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

Hi again, heres the board in question...

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=MBE-6100PMM2&af=50

£32 including VAT

Yes it has a 16x PCI-Express slot for the purposes of upgrading to a dedicated graphics card. Im told the chipset is not great for overclockers but its a very solid board. Buy that board or similar, cheap dual core cpu and a cheap memory kit and you got a working machine far superior to your old p4. At a later date you can whip out the dual core chip and shove in a X4 if your a gamer, or perhaps a nice 4GB memory kit and a dedicated video card, on the limited budget i have it was the best option for me....Sure its not a world beater as it is now but the room it gives me for improvement in the comming weeks/months it a good thing to have. Also when you do upgrade for example buy a 4GB memory kit from a reliable ebay seller, stick your old 2GB kit on there and make some money back, Hope this helps. Good luck.