Pumps, Rads, and Pump Controllers

tskasa1

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
So, I've been doing some reading and [removed] Corsair went a whee bit overboard with their newest case. Apparently the 900D can hold five rads and, IIRC, that's 2 480s, 2 240s, and a single 360. That's 15 fans' worth of rad!! But this got me thinking...about how many pumps do you think it'd take to get that running well?

At least two I would think?

On the bright side though, I guess you'll never go above ambient temps with that many rads :na:

Also, I've been wondering if there exists any kind of pump controller for the PMP500? Be it software based or, preferably, hardware based.

Actually its thirty fans, pushpull all the way, two pumps would be good to keep flow up because you haven't considered block restriction, with that much rad I'd expect a Cpu/multi Gpu loop so maybe three or four flowkilling blocks there,
You would be very close to ambient delta yes but idle would still be about 5'c over ambient temps
And not sure on a controller for the pump but a suitable rated fancontroller should do the job
Moto

Would depend on the restriction of the blocks involved, radiators offer very little restriction compared to blocks so that would be the deciding factor.

Read Martins review on the PMP-500, he comments that you need a pump controller that can support at least 36W to run the pump. Koolance offer this one that they say is compatible.
http://koolance.com/ctr-spd1224-pump-or-fan-speed-controller

Just a call for clarification from people more knowledgeable than I.
Is there any difference between a pump and fan controller? Ignoring some pump controllers ability to overvolt the pump (like the one I linked).
To me it seems both would just be variable resistors, so they would act identically. Just a bit hesitant before I start considering using my fan controller for the pump

tskasa1

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

Haha, well, 30 would just be...ridiculous O_O Haha, I've been considering buying one of these monsters and maxing out its WC potential and the 15 fans (GT 2150 RPM), and just those 15 fans are gonna cost me around $225. That'd make it about $450! :eek:

Out of curiosity though, does pushpull deliver that much of a benefit over just push/pull, or is it a relatively marginal increase?

And are you sure just two pumps would work? I'd of thought something more like 3 :ouch:

And I'm a bit confused about the fan controller thing. I'd read about it before on a forum, but I wasn't exactly sure how it worked.

Also, the ambient thing was a joke :p

Well, I would actually disagree with that. I mean the noise can be inconvenient, especially if you have a roommate who would get annoyed by it - in other words, most college students. So, easy to access pump controls would actually be quite a good thing. They have that double pump control thing over at Koolance, but they (Koolance) are silly and don't let the 12V variant go up to the full 36 watts needed for two pumps.

On a side note, I sure do hope that they include an extra fan slot or two that are not rad-capable, because it seems to me that in the end you are gonna end up with some heat floating around the case that you won't really be able to deal with because all the other fans are too busy with the rads xD

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Fan controllers have an amp restriction on each channel some are at 1 amp (7 watt) while outers are at 2 amps pluse (30 watt) a 30 watt or better would handle a pump.
Now a voltage regulator can be amp limited or not, it depends on the supply voltage to the regulator itself and how that is limited through the circuit. If there is no limiter than as voltage goes up so does the potential amps available through a voltage regulator.

Fourteen in my Radbox
four on the 240 rad on my roof, another five on caseflow duty, four on my cards, a northbridge 40mm unit and the Psu fan make....
29 fans on my rig,
Pushpull delivers a good drop on load temps, but the massive bonus here is more fans means slower fans, means quiet fans, awesome temps AND quiet, sign up right here :)
I run my loop on two Xspc X20 750l pump/reservoirs and also have two T-Virus reservoirs so its a large loop, but my flowrates are good, and two pmp 500's would stomp my pumps :)
**GT 2150 RPM** way too fast for a monster loop, try 12-1500Rpm fans slowed to around 6-700Rpm on controllers,
hell, if you're just watching a movie you can run it fully passive for total silence,
And gaming? 8 hours on Crysis 3 at the weekend, chip and both cards never passed 40'c (100% usage on Cpu at times, avg 85%, and avg 75% on Gpu's)
975BE@4GHz two 6950's@ 810/1250
Big water is a killer addiction man :)
and thats before you get into Tec cooling hehe
Moto

How about leave the cuss words out! :pfff:

You can cram twice the radiator capacity this case could hold and still be above ambient!

Ambient is the best you could hope for with any stock radiator water cooling.

The main problem with all the rads crammed inside of a case is they're using computer component pre-heated air to cool with.

An external RadBox using nothing but ambient air to cool with is the better option.

It makes no sense to cram all that radiator real estate into a case and still be at the mercy of pre-heated ambient air!

Besides the fact that case is not available to buy yet, at least not in the US.

Curious, How many water cooling builds do you have under your belt?

I'm not trying to offend you just curious as to why you would quickly discount a perfectly good sound suggestion, then in the same post ask other questions indicating your lack of water cooling knowledge.

Have you read the sticky yet?

Just build a new system for my computer. xspc h2+ case with a rx 480 on top and 2 rx 360 on the bottom all with push\pull fans

D2DC652A-9A73-4008-8670-E3438D2C01D4-7658-0000020BAE29D70E.jpg

no problms hitting 5.4ghz on the 2600k (mid 60's) and overclocking the 2 580's to 990/2360 (mid 50's)

Next mod is a compact Tec system for my lan rig based off of 4RYAN6's tec build found here.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282844-29-peltier-water-cooling#t2033960

Short of drilling some holes in the MB tray to get the cables to pop out right were i needed them thats as clean of a case as your going to get :kaola: .

theres 24 fans 2 pumps and 4 harddrives

Maybe the next time i redo my computer ill drill the holes. Also the case is 76lbs so it will cost to much going ups and i dont trust fedex. Maybe strap it to a pallet and ship it freight.

Id love to tak credit for the pumps but its made by xspc dual pump top block and heatsink on the bottom.

tskasa1

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

Yeah, but try finding a fan controller that goes up to 36 Watts :p Unfortunately Koolance decided to settle on a relatively odd amount of maximum wattage which seems to make finding a good fan controller made pump controller difficult, unless I am wrong about that.

Ugh, no offense, but I'm not a big fan of those box designs, I prefer the full-out sexy of a rectangular case. And the Obsidian 900D is just . . . :love:

I know, as I said before, that was just a joke.

I already acknowledged this, hence my comment about wishing that they add in an extra single-fan slot or two to help with that.

tskasa1

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

Wow, that's pretty ridiculous, haha, although I can see why you normally run it stock. I mean, running it at 5.2 would kill your cpu's life span, wouldn't it?