Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Phenom X4 955 Overclock?

Last response: in CPUs
June 23, 2010 12:32:24 AM

Hey guys, I am getting a Phenom X4 955 with this MOBOASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard.

I have never OC'd before and would like to know what would be a solid number to OC to for a good balance of chip life and performance. (also without adding much MHZ)
I do only have a 500 W PSU on my list to buy so if you think I need different for this OC let me know. Also I don't have a CPU fan picked out.

Any links to articles that may help or other post will also be appreciated.

More about : phenom 955 overclock

Best solution

a c 162 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2010 2:08:44 AM

Phenom II 955 is a super easy OC. If its BIOS is similar in setup to my ASUS 790FX board you should have an AI tweaker tab in your bios, when you go into that you will see CPU multiplier will be set to auto, your CPU speed is that multiplier times the 200MHz base clock, so if you bump it up to 17x you will be running at 3.4GHz.

3.6GHz is usually the point with the best return, much above that often doesnt seem to help too much, and you should be able to get there on the stock voltage or just one or two notches higher.
June 23, 2010 4:29:45 AM

hunter315 said:
Phenom II 955 is a super easy OC. If its BIOS is similar in setup to my ASUS 790FX board you should have an AI tweaker tab in your bios, when you go into that you will see CPU multiplier will be set to auto, your CPU speed is that multiplier times the 200MHz base clock, so if you bump it up to 17x you will be running at 3.4GHz.

3.6GHz is usually the point with the best return, much above that often doesnt seem to help too much, and you should be able to get there on the stock voltage or just one or two notches higher.

What do you mean one or two notches higher? Raising the voltage of the CPU via bios? This draws more from my PSU, would 500W be sufficient? I would be using HD 5770 GPU.

Thanks
Related resources
a c 162 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2010 4:39:35 AM

Each board has a minimum voltage increment, my ASUS board will let me adjust the voltage in 0.0125V increments, yours may be a bit higher like 0.025, by one or two notches i mean the minimum increment on your board, for mild overclocks it shouldnt take much of a voltage increase to stay stable so your power consumption wont increase much, maybe an additional 20 watts. Your 500W unit will likely be sufficient, what PSU do you have just to double check?
June 23, 2010 5:25:31 AM

hunter315 said:
Each board has a minimum voltage increment, my ASUS board will let me adjust the voltage in 0.0125V increments, yours may be a bit higher like 0.025, by one or two notches i mean the minimum increment on your board, for mild overclocks it shouldnt take much of a voltage increase to stay stable so your power consumption wont increase much, maybe an additional 20 watts. Your 500W unit will likely be sufficient, what PSU do you have just to double check?

This is the one I have in my cart at newegg (like my entire computer), I will be purchasing it soon just checking around for more info on it. Also in the future I was thinking of using crossfire and getting another HD 5770 when I upgrade, this would be an even more burden on this PSU (most likely not sufficient PSU). "In the future" I could always get a different PSU also.

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active

Thanks for the help
a c 162 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2010 5:28:50 AM

Cheaper to get a PSU for the future the first time around, rather than wasting some money at the beginning on one you know you are going to get rid of. That one will be fine for a single 5770 and OCing, if you want to run crossfire you will need to step up to a 650W unit like this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
June 23, 2010 5:37:43 AM

hunter315 said:
Cheaper to get a PSU for the future the first time around, rather than wasting some money at the beginning on one you know you are going to get rid of. That one will be fine for a single 5770 and OCing, if you want to run crossfire you will need to step up to a 650W unit like this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Great suggestions I like that PSU, although, that screws up my combos lol. Do you know any good cases (air flow) that are lower price or possibly combo'd up with a cd/dvd burner. If not thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.

found this combo quick what do you think about the case? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Shockem
June 23, 2010 5:42:27 AM

Best answer selected by Shockem.
June 23, 2010 6:16:37 AM

hunter315 said:
Here this should solve your combo dilemma, the TP-650 is actually a bit nicer than the 650TX but it costs more so i didnt check it first but im pretty sure the combo covers the price difference.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Ya now it is just a price dilemma lol
June 23, 2010 6:54:27 AM

hunter315 said:
Here this should solve your combo dilemma, the TP-650 is actually a bit nicer than the 650TX but it costs more so i didnt check it first but im pretty sure the combo covers the price difference.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Hey thanks a lot for helping me out here. I have come to the conclusion that I have $67 (after MIR) to spend on a PSU and cd/dvd burner. I have the case you suggested antec 900, although, the power supply with it was too costly (unless I could get a hard drive and cd/dvd for $53 (500TB)) Have any suggestions?

Thanks
!