Athlon II X4 620 Heat Question

According to HWMonitor, ASUS AI Suite, and my BIOS, my idle CPU temp is ~33C. At load, (Prime95 for about 4 hours), it gets to around 56C. I have an Athlon II X4 620 overclocked to 3.2 Ghz with a vCore voltage of 1.328. My CPU HSF is a Xigmatek Dark Knight with the original fan and Arctic Silver 5 applied in the pea-shape method. I have not lapped the CPU or the HSF. However, the thing that puzzles me is that my computer is in an air-conditioned room that is at about 65F, and Athlon II's have a TDP of 95W. However, my motherboard's northbridge thermal diode is bad, telling me its at a toasty 90C. Could this mean that the CPU thermal diode is bad too? Or am I just doing something wrong? Thanks.

Case: CM Storm Sniper w/ 3x 120mm, 2x 200mm, and 1x 140mm
CPU: Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.2 Ghz
HSF: Xigmatek Dark Knight
RAM: Kingston Hyperx DDR2 1066 2GB Stick
GPU: Galaxy GT 240 DDR3 512MB
PSU: Coolmax 600W
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB
5 answers Last reply
More about athlon heat question
  1. Anonymous said:
    According to HWMonitor, ASUS AI Suite, and my BIOS, my idle CPU temp is ~33C. At load, (Prime95 for about 4 hours), it gets to around 56C. I have an Athlon II X4 620 overclocked to 3.2 Ghz with a vCore voltage of 1.328. My CPU HSF is a Xigmatek Dark Knight with the original fan and Arctic Silver 5 applied in the pea-shape method. I have not lapped the CPU or the HSF. However, the thing that puzzles me is that my computer is in an air-conditioned room that is at about 75F, and Athlon II's have a TDP of 95W. However, my motherboard's northbridge thermal diode is bad, telling me its at a toasty 90C. Could this mean that the CPU thermal diode is bad too? Or am I just doing something wrong? Thanks.

Case: CM Storm Sniper w/ 3x 120mm, 2x 200mm, and 1x 140mm
    CPU: Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.2 Ghz
    HSF: Xigmatek Dark Knight
    RAM: Kingston Hyperx DDR2 1066 2GB Stick
    GPU: Galaxy GT 240 DDR3 512MB
    PSU: Coolmax 600W
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB

Doesn't sound that bad to me. What were you expecting? And 75F is not exactly cold.
  2. Sorry, that was a typo. Its at 65F, not 75F.
  3. Use a free software called Everest to check the temp before determining this is a bad mobo. Many times, some software will tell you temperatures in F and keep its label as C. Everest does not do this.

90F sounds a lot closer to what it should be than 90C. 90F = 32C.
  4. Its 90C. I've checked with many other programs, and occasionally the temp does go to 95C.
  5. If the motherboard doesn't feel that hot, then it isn't.

As for the CPU, I had the same one overclocked to 3.2GHz on stock voltage and that's the temperatures I get with the stock HSF. I've upgraded to a Katana II and now my load is down to 42*C. The room is typically 20-25*C. So I think there might be something a bit wrong there.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs