Sign in with
Your question

DisplayPort and Linux

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 23, 2010 9:30:44 PM

Is it easy to find a cheap ATI graphics card with DisplayPort that runs under Linux? So far I only see ATI Radeon 5450 cards.

More about : displayport linux

a b U Graphics card
March 23, 2010 9:34:00 PM

I don't know if anything below the 5xxx had display ports, but a simple work around would be: adapter + HD4330.

Cheers!

EDIT: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-rad...

Some 4550's have DisplayPort according to AMD. Might want to look around Newegg for some.
March 26, 2010 7:24:19 PM

Yuka said:
a simple work around would be: adapter + HD4330.

Adapter to what? DisplayPort is not electrically compatible to DVI, hence also not to HDMI.

The 4550 chipset has DisplayPort support, so any company could build a 4550 card with DisplayPort, but none actually does so.

4330 is not an option either (it's an integrated chipset, only for notebooks).
Related resources
March 26, 2010 10:40:15 PM

Thanks for the help!

An active adapter? I am supposed to buy and use (instead of a simple cable) a device that actually eats power and reprocesses the signal? I assume that the resulting image quality can't be great, particularly at high resolutions (1920x1200). Might even be worse than with VGA connection.

Which probably means I'd better stay away from monitors with only DisplayPort inputs as long as I use Linux. :( 
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2010 1:49:41 AM

Not quite, the Dell adapter has a good link up from the looks of it, and the Apple has some issues with non-apple monitors (lol, figures). It would be risky indeed, and maybe saving up for a 5xxx series would be better :p 

Cheers!
!