Sign in with
Your question

SLI Setup Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 23, 2010 10:41:12 PM

I originally had a single BFG Tech 275 OCX card in my computer. I wanted to buy a second one before they stopped making them, and a BFG Tech 275 OC was the only thing I could get from Newegg. I bought it and put it in a couple days ago. I've never SLI'ed before, so this is new to me. I just plugged it in and enabled SLI in Control Panel and away I went. I had to mess with the fan speed settings because I have a temperature rule in place so they don't go above 75. After that I went and played, and to me it just acts weird.

I compared my benchmark scores to those in the THG article on the GTX 295 vs. GTX 275 SLI. My GTA 4 and Far Cry 2 scores are where they should be in comparison to this benchmark. My Crysis scores are very low though, as I'm getting less than 30 in Crysis. I can't even make it through the full benchmark without it closing the game. I haven't been able to play Crysis since I loaded Windows 7, and I know others have this problem too. I do play Warhead though, and I think it vastly underperforms in Warhead too.

One thing I noticed, I was under the impression that when using 2 differently clocked cards (OCX vs. OC) it would automatically downclock the higher card to match the lower cards clock speeds. Well, as you can see in this screenshot, it's not doing that. I took this screenshot while playing Crysis Warhead on the other monitor.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Is there something else I should have done other than just plugging the other card in and enabling SLI? Thanks guys.

More about : sli setup question

a c 106 U Graphics card
March 24, 2010 3:07:58 AM

Could not be getting enough power. What PSU do you have? If your PSU is sufficient, then you may want to try uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers.
a c 106 U Graphics card
March 24, 2010 3:11:16 AM

I should also mention that Crysis prefers a faster clocked CPU so that can affect your FPS. So yeah, overclock that CPU ^_^. I believe they were using an overclocked CPU in the article you're referring to. As for simply not completing the benchmark again that could be a power problem, or one of the cards is overheating.
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2010 3:34:55 AM

His CPU is clocked at 4.0Ghz. I think you should reinstall your nVidia drivers. Do a clean sweep of the drivers while uninstalling. Make sure SLI is enabled. If the other card doesn't downclock, you might want to do it manually iwth eVGA Precision.
!