Funny Core Temp Readings

gopack

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
I have a q9450 on an evga 780i sli mobo. I have used multiple temperature reading programs (Everest, speedfan, real temp) and at idle I am getting temps about like this. This is with all the cpu voltage, clock cycle, and multiplyer down throttling turned on and no OC. Before with those were disabled and with a 3.4 OC at idle all temps were maybe 2-3 C higher.

CPU-29 C
Core 1-50 C
Core 2-39 C
Core 3-30 C
Core 4-33 C

My bios only reports the CPU temp and gives a reading very close to what all 3 programs give me which is about 30 C.

Are these temperatures accurate? I am concerned for core 1 and 2. Currently I took all my OC off but only to very minimal, 1-2 C temp drop. I am getting new (arctic silver 5) thermal paste later this week to replace the old paste that could be causing it but I just don't know with such a radical temperature spread.

Any ideas on whats causing this or if these numbers are correct?

BTW Antec 900 Case and Zalman CPU cooler so airflow is good or great.

Thanks

gopack

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
I put the TJ max down to 95 because I read that is a more accurate value for the q9450. So all above temps in my first post would be -5 C

I turned off all the energy save functions and clocked to 3.4 GHz and applied new thermal paste and at idle I am getting.

Core 1-45
Core 2-34
Core 3-27
Core 4-27

and with ten minutes of prime 95

Core 1-60
Core 2-50
Core 3-45
Core 4-45

It's just odd that the one core is still so high. I wish I could figure out why. I wonder if the heat sink is a little warped and doesn't touch over core 1 very well.

It isn't even the weak core when overclock. core 2 is always the first one to give out.

Any ideas? Should I just not worry about these temps

gopack

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
I just found this http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/intel-dts-specs,news-29460.html.

So i set my TJmax back to 100 and that article mentions that the sensors on the chips simply cannot detect temps below 50 accuratley and that there is a large range on the low readings of what it could actually be. I guess that I am just not going to worry about those temps because at load my max with my OC is 65 C which is fine right?