Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking Gigabyte 660ti 2GB OC WindForce

Last response: in Overclocking
March 7, 2013 4:24:28 AM

Hello hello,
this is the card: http://www.wootware.co.za/gigabyte-gv-n66toc-2gd-nvidia...

Im completely new to OCing and need some help... i want to OC this card to a stable OC but i dont really know how exactly.
Im using MSI Afterburner.

Is there a specific way to do it or does it differ on individual cards?
basically all i know is that i need to increase memory clock / core clock and the voltage, thats about it :??:  i do not know by how much or anything else..
im a little nervous and want to do it the correct way.

Also will i see an improvement in fps in-games? thats the whole point.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2013 10:49:21 AM

Don't touch the voltage if u are new...

and be patient, O.C. is also a process to testing your patience.

I only had experience in O.C. -ing amd card so cannot helps u much...

edit : first try set the custom fan profile so it will up as u liking...

but as i know oc the core first by little like 5 mhz and test it with benchmark (haven/valley/furmark/3dmark)... watch the temp and any glich/artifact

if it stable then increase 5 mhz more and repeat...
until it reach 70-80c temp or artifac/glich happen.. then u need to downclock it to 5 or 10 mhz...

reapet the same process with the memory clock...

after all stable save it to profile, and make the O.C. permanet by check the option in the afterburner... (only set it after u sure all is stable)

edit: this how i do in amd card, since nvi had shader clock and auto overclocking feature cannot said it will works for nvi card...
March 7, 2013 11:59:50 AM

Thanks man, wouldnt it better to save the OC so i can just enable it b4 a play a game? or can i just reset it if i feel i want to?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2013 2:05:51 PM

what i means in the end of o.c. by saving are for the O.C. is automatically applied at computer start up.. it usefull (no need manually activate it before gaming) but in unstable o.c. it will lock the system.....

in amd card they had power profile so in normal task it will downclock itself to around 400 mhz and when running the game it automatically kick in the 1000mhz clock or the O.C.-ed clock (mine at 1200), so no need to enable it before game as long as the O.C is stable..
it maybe same in nvi card..
March 7, 2013 10:56:46 PM

Here is what I do for my 680's when I over clock them. However, I use EVGA Precision X.

**DO NOT TOUCH THE VOLTAGES ON 6-SERIES NVIDIA CARDS**

The first thing I do is set the "Power Target" to max. It doesn't run the cards at a higher voltage it just allows the card to use more power if it needs it.

For the GPU Clock Offset, I start at around 30Mhz and go up by 10Mhz at time, running at least two different GPU Benchmarks, usually 3DMark and FurMark. If the Display Driver crashes I inch it back by 5Mhz at a time.

Do the same thing with the Memory offset but you can probably start around 100-200Mhz as these cards don't mind a high Memory over clock.

As long as your temps aren't in the high 80's it should be ok. That card seems to have a rather robust cooler on it so you should be fine.

One thing to take note of is that your video card is already pre-overclocked so don't expect to be getting an additional 200Mhz on GPU offset. Just because a card comes over clocked doesn't mean you can add the same amount of Mhz as you would on a reference card.

Also note, not all games will respond well to an overclock. For example, I can run my 680's with a very high over clock in all games except Battlefield 3. Even a slight over clock will make the game freeze.

Finally, because your card is already over clocked, adding an additional over clock will only give you an addition 3-5% performance gain so if your games are running fine but the cards keep crashing don't worry about it. The joy of having pre overclocked cards is that they already have a stable over clock on them.

Hope this helps, good luck to you sir!
March 8, 2013 6:41:06 PM

halfblazed said:
Here is what I do for my 680's when I over clock them. However, I use EVGA Precision X.

**DO NOT TOUCH THE VOLTAGES ON 6-SERIES NVIDIA CARDS**

The first thing I do is set the "Power Target" to max. It doesn't run the cards at a higher voltage it just allows the card to use more power if it needs it.

For the GPU Clock Offset, I start at around 30Mhz and go up by 10Mhz at time, running at least two different GPU Benchmarks, usually 3DMark and FurMark. If the Display Driver crashes I inch it back by 5Mhz at a time.

Do the same thing with the Memory offset but you can probably start around 100-200Mhz as these cards don't mind a high Memory over clock.

As long as your temps aren't in the high 80's it should be ok. That card seems to have a rather robust cooler on it so you should be fine.

One thing to take note of is that your video card is already pre-overclocked so don't expect to be getting an additional 200Mhz on GPU offset. Just because a card comes over clocked doesn't mean you can add the same amount of Mhz as you would on a reference card.

Also note, not all games will respond well to an overclock. For example, I can run my 680's with a very high over clock in all games except Battlefield 3. Even a slight over clock will make the game freeze.

Finally, because your card is already over clocked, adding an additional over clock will only give you an addition 3-5% performance gain so if your games are running fine but the cards keep crashing don't worry about it. The joy of having pre overclocked cards is that they already have a stable over clock on them.

Hope this helps, good luck to you sir!

Thanks man, when you say "GPU Clock Offset" do you mean the core clock???

So basically this is what i plan to do, this might be wrong:
first, i will run Furmark without the OC and check what results i get on my gpu temp and usage...

second, i raise the "core clock" by 30Mhz and do the test again and check the temp and usage... and then repeat adding 10Mhz after each test??? until crash? or until i get to around 70C...???

thats it?

a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2013 1:37:51 AM

some thing like that... but I prefer small step like 10 Mhz each time from the start...

at best don't let it over 75c-80c if u can keep it under 70c it will be great...

and don't wait until it crash, try paying attention for artifact / glitch / unusual graphic... (this also indicate the O.C. is not stable)

a c 169 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2013 6:11:24 AM

increase the power limit before you even touch the gpu clock. increasing the power limit will allow the card to automatically boost higher. if you oc without increasing power limit with these cards you can actually go backwards in performance because the card will throttle back. Always run a quick benchmark after tweaking to make sure your actually gaining performance. Another point they throttle back is 70C, so keep it cool, turn up fan speed with a custom profile. Ram is the easiest thing to OC on these cards, find a stable OC for the ram first. Then when you cant get any further with your OC search Kepler Golden BIOS, its the only way to increase voltage, voltage control in software does nothing for the gtx6xx cards. two good places to do some reading and see what other people are getting and how to do it are here

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?2840...

and here

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1654...
!